• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Questions about Iwill KK266R 1.33ghz results...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A

Ariel

Hi All,

Well the 1.33ghz (266) chip came in Saturday.. unfortunately it was an AVIA code and is not an exceptional performer although it does okay. I did a thorough pencil job on it, put on the artic silver paste and installed the FOP38 HSF. After putting the motherboard back in the case I began testing to see what this chip could do...

Iwill KK266R motherboard v1.2
04/26 bios
(2) 256mb Crucial Cas 2 pc133 sticks
Geforce2 GTS 32meg agp card
Detonator 12.10 drivers
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Windows XP Beta2 build 2462

Results:

The highest cpu speed I could reach stably while playing Quake3 was 1404mhz (10X multiplier and 140mhz fsb)

The highest fsb I could reach was 149mhz (9X multiplier for an overall speed of 1342mhz)

Observations:

I was really hoping to reach around 1.5 ghz but once I saw that the cpu code was AVIA I really didn't think I had much chance. I have a couple of concerns however..

[1] To reach 1404mhz I had to significantly bump up the core voltage. According to the IWILL Smart Setting it should be 1.825 but according the Bios's PC Health Status and Motherboard Monitor 5.06 it is 1.96..

Which one is correct?
And if it is really 1.96, is that too high? Will it kill the cpu?

(2)The cpu temperature according to MBM 5.06 is 43c at idle and 46c under load
The motherboard is 30c at idle and at load. There doesn't seem to be too much difference between idle and load so I am not sure how accurate that all is..

Thanks,
Ariel...

Bummer about not reaching 1.5.

First question is the iwill adds about .09volts over what you pick or even the default so if you pick 1.8volts it will be 1.89. Don't worry another member told me he had one up to 2.2volts and all it did was get hot as hell! so 1.9 is no problem he also said no advantage over about 2volts so I don't think you need to push it any higher.

with the 0426bios the temps seem a little on the low side I don't have a probe so I can't say for sure. I can't get my chip above 37C even when the case temp was 32C. I think your temps are ok but I would install the mobo monitor auto shut down around 55C just to be safe. l8r

el (May 13, 2001 10:13 p.m.):
Bummer about not reaching 1.5.

First question is the iwill adds about .09volts over what you pick or even the default so if you pick 1.8volts it will be 1.89. Don't worry another member told me he had one up to 2.2volts and all it did was get hot as hell! so 1.9 is no problem he also said no advantage over about 2volts so I don't think you need to push it any higher.

with the 0426bios the temps seem a little on the low side I don't have a probe so I can't say for sure. I can't get my chip above 37C even when the case temp was 32C. I think your temps are ok but I would install the mobo monitor auto shut down around 55C just to be safe. l8r

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion for auto shutdown at 55c. Will do that right away since I always leave Seti running when I am at work and I don't want to come home to a fried cpu.. :) As far as the voltage goes.. I had no choice but to raise to 1.96.. Windows would run fine at less but Quake 3 would lock the system up hard with a piercing sound through my speakers until I bumped up the voltage. I was going up in the smallest increments I could for complete stability as I know that adding more voltage contributes to greater heat. My old 1.1ghz thunderbird could run well at very low voltages (1236mhz at like 1.55 volts) adding volts never helped it. With this new 1.33ghz.. while it does not run at below spec voltage at all.. it does respond to increased voltage pretty well. It is just that I don't have the coolest ambient temperatures around so I try to get the best results at the coolest temperatures. I am really looking for a good water solution that is not too expensive, is safe and reliable, easy to install, and handles decent overclocking with minimal noise.. this delta fan is a killer in the noise department.. :)

Oh, I have one more question.. The FOP38 HSF can either be plugged into the motherboard or directly into the powersupply with the power adapter.. is there a benefit to one or the other.. I have always just used the motherboard without any problems but if using the powersupply directly is better I will change that as well..

Thanks,
Ariel...

waiting on my iWill kk266-R :)

i find using the mobo header for the fan, allows you to see the rpms in BIOS, and i've seemed to have better cooling results that way. may just be percieved.
i will always aim for using the mobo over the molex tho. i think a good indicator on this is..
the good cooling stuff mostly has the mobo plug, rather than a molex connector. i'd be likely to suspect it would be the other way around if beneficial to go off the pwr supply. the cheap hsk/fans are molex only.
just my opinion, good luck on that system!

I don't know I didn't want to kill that fan header with all the power the fecking deltas need. I plug it into the PS. Globalwin actually said not to plug the Delta into the mobo but I guess it is personal preference. I haven't heard people kill mobos but I still would rather be safe than sorry!

Back