• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions about the I7 960

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

so as most of you know i have an X58 setup LGA 1366 based around the xeon w3690. i think my xeon CPU has a bad memory controller because with 6 sticks of 8gig ageis gskill ram the bios and windows 10 will only see 32 gigs and windows says only 4 of the 6 slots are used. interestingly enough both cpuz and speccy can see the full 48gigs of ram

my question is how well would the i7 960 perform in gaming i mainly play shadow of the tomb raider and doom 2016 my gpu is a 1660Ti i know id be going from 6 core 12 threads to 4 cores 8 threads but i cant afford a new system at the moment money is tight the 960 was given to me for free

also how well would the 960 overclock i was able to hit 4.5GHz on my 3690 thanks for your time

edit this gaming system is just a temp pc till i can save up money for a new ryzen system next years

dont wanna toss in the 960 if it wont overclock as well as my 3690 did

so do i keep my 3690 in my system knowing it only sees 4 out of the 6 ram stick due to the bad mem controller or toss in the 960 and risk a lower overclock?

cpu memory controller was bad problem solved

Last edited:
The problem isn't necessarily the CPU could be the motherboard. But the 3690 is the better bet, 960 isn't unlocked so it's all FSB overclocking which has it's own difficulties. The memory, is there any real reason you need so much? Have you tried taking half of the memory out, that's still 24 GB which is plenty for gaming.

The problem isn't necessarily the CPU could be the motherboard. But the 3690 is the better bet, 960 isn't unlocked so it's all FSB overclocking which has it's own difficulties. The memory, is there any real reason you need so much? Have you tried taking half of the memory out, that's still 24 GB which is plenty for gaming.

johan i know its not the motherboard as i had similar issues on a different motherboard hence why i suspect the cpu

Actually you won't know till you try it!
Bot showing 4.3 +/- for ambient cooling (air/water), the one I played with was not a happy camper 4.5 plus a little @ 1.6v.

or you could try this guys piece of advice

DaedalusPC said:
Disappearing RAM issues fixed with this simple BIOS adjustment.
Change the Row Refresh Cycle Timing to 100 clocks,
or sometimes called Reference Cycle Timing.
Let me know if you would like to see a review of the Corsair Vengeance 24GB X58 triple channel memory kit.
Thanks!

THA SAUCE

Whale eye beef hooked.

I was highly skeptical of the video. I ran only my Hypers for years for a reason lol. My system is super picky about ram.. Really, that's the only negative about my x58 rig that I don't talk about too much. Its picky as **** with ram. I have my 2000c8 STT's, and I have some OCZ Reaper PSC with stock clocks @ 1600 6-8-6-24 1T. I normally run my SuperTalents at speeds between 1333 and 1600 @ 6-6-6-20 with 1.6-1.65v. Both sets normally don't play nice, and I can rarely get the reapers to work on their own, let alone with my hypers. In the video his was 140, mine was 107, and I set it to 100. Initial thoughs during initial power up was that it wasn't going to work because it took twice as long at least to track the ram before post. Once it did that, it fired right up. I have my Xeon running @ stock right now. 133/2666/4800. I normally run it at 133/3200/6400.. but I don't want to tempt fate. Running 6x2gb mix of Hyper/PSC @ 1333 6-8-6-24 1T 1.6v and just finished hammering it with Linpack extreme running a 10gb load. I also ran some realbench and everything worked out.

So thanks, it's running for now :attn:

Whale eye beef hooked.

I was highly skeptical of the video. I ran only my Hypers for years for a reason lol. My system is super picky about ram.. Really, that's the only negative about my x58 rig that I don't talk about too much. Its picky as **** with ram. I have my 2000c8 STT's, and I have some OCZ Reaper PSC with stock clocks @ 1600 6-8-6-24 1T. I normally run my SuperTalents at speeds between 1333 and 1600 @ 6-6-6-20 with 1.6-1.65v. Both sets normally don't play nice, and I can rarely get the reapers to work on their own, let alone with my hypers. In the video his was 140, mine was 107, and I set it to 100. Initial thoughs during initial power up was that it wasn't going to work because it took twice as long at least to track the ram before post. Once it did that, it fired right up. I have my Xeon running @ stock right now. 133/2666/4800. I normally run it at 133/3200/6400.. but I don't want to tempt fate. Running 6x2gb mix of Hyper/PSC @ 1333 6-8-6-24 1T 1.6v and just finished hammering it with Linpack extreme running a 10gb load. I also ran some realbench and everything worked out.

So thanks, it's running for now :attn:

didnt work for me

did you try testing one ram stick at a time?

Did you try testing one ram slot at a time?

(G{in}[AK)TION] yes tried the ram im gonna toss in an i7 960 because i know that cpu had no issues witht he ram it was in the mobo when i bought it it came free with the mobo

For me its probably just a fluke.. For what I ran its fine.. I usually find out after an update or something and it reboots. Could be an hour, a day, a week. She's got a mind of her own. I've run this memory combo before, though not for an extended period, but it is usually a challenge. But its the kids pc, doesn't need to be running too hard, its decent @ stock clocks. But 6gb of ram is a bit of a squeeze, at least there is some breathing room with 12. My other option would be to run a mixed G.Skill set, though I only have 5x2gb of those. And those too can be a challenge, but not as much as the stt and ocz combo.

For me its probably just a fluke.. For what I ran its fine.. I usually find out after an update or something and it reboots. Could be an hour, a day, a week. She's got a mind of her own. I've run this memory combo before, though not for an extended period, but it is usually a challenge. But its the kids pc, doesn't need to be running too hard, its decent @ stock clocks. But 6gb of ram is a bit of a squeeze, at least there is some breathing room with 12. My other option would be to run a mixed G.Skill set, though I only have 5x2gb of those. And those too can be a challenge, but not as much as the stt and ocz combo.

turns out the IMC was bad so thats why it wouldnt see all the ram

Wasn't something similar already happening with your xeon? I doubt you have 2 bad IMC's in a row.
(Unless you're still talking about your original xeon that has a ptoblem)

I don’t think it’s the IMC either. I thought the same about my Xeon a few times. But it proved me wrong. Mine is an e.s., don’t know the history on it before I got it. But I do know I have thrashed it repeatedly, and it’s been running for about 8 years now.

Back