• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions about thermal grease

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justin

Registered
ok a few questions.....
1.what type should i buy for the best quality?
2.how much should i put on the chip? should i slather it on?
3.is it ok to have metal to metal contact? is that bad?(im stuck with that for right now*grumble*)
4.i dunno if my radioshack has it but where else can i buy it?
anyother comments/fact/advice will be greatly appreciated.
tanks

Justin (Jun 03, 2001 03:27 a.m.):
ok a few questions.....
1.what type should i buy for the best quality?ARCTIC SILVER-2
2.how much should i put on the chip? should i slather it on? NO JUST A THIN COATING
3.is it ok to have metal to metal contact? NO ITS NOT OK is that bad? YES SHUT DOWN UNTIL YOU GET THIS FIXED(im stuck with that for right now*grumble*)
4.i dunno if my radioshack has it but where else can i buy it?RADIOSHACK SHOULD HAVE IT OR A MOM AND POP PC STORE WILL HAVE SOMETHING
anyother comments/fact/advice will be greatly appreciated.
tanks

FOR YOUR OWN SAKE SHUTDOWN NOW!

GOODLUCK

not entirely sure what processor you're running, but no processor after the 486 should be run without thermal paste. get some arctic silver or arctic silver II and apply it thinly and evenly to the core with a credit card or razor blade edge... and then watch your temps drop. personally, i wouldn't even run my proc without paste.

i too had no thermal paste and like proze said, i applied arctic silver 2 and my cpu temp dropped 5 or 6c at the very next boot.

Back