• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

I got $200 for Xmas and I'm not sure what I wanna get for my computer, which would benefit me the best in computer games such as warcraft3?

Video card - Asus Geforce 4 ti4200 8xAGP 128mb DDR 128bit
or Radeon 9700 non-pro
or Suggestions?

Ram- Kingston 512MB DDR -SDRAM pc2700
or Kingston 512MB DDR -SDRAM pc3200?
Can pc2700 and pc3200 go together, whats the difference?

Another hard drive with RAID? ...... someone said this helps load times in a game if you are loading from your hard drive

Processor- P4 2.6C or keep my celeron 2.4?

Better cooling?

batboy

Senior Moment
Gramps is right, you definitely need a better vid card. For that price range, the 9600 XT is not a bad choice.

OP
F

Firestrider

OK I just got the 9600xt at best buy for $199, when I installed it my computer was overclocked to 3000 from 2400, will this overclock ruin my card?

(v)estra

nah wont ruin the card as long as there is a pci lock of some sort when i installed my 9500pro mine was @3550 from 2400 and runs like a dream the vid is at 375/300 if i remember correctly same as a 9700pro and actually reads as a 9700pro (preforms as good as my friends 9700pro too :p his bros 9800pro only scores 600pts more on 3dmark01se but my proc is ALOT faster) the oc wont mess up the card

OP
F

Firestrider

Where can I do this PCI lock and where do I download 3dmark01se? I just ran 2 games with the new video card... warcraft 3's graphics are better then before, but diablo 2's graphics are all messed up its like its in 2d, the fonts all are blotchy the shadows are blotchy the people are blotchy. I ran the video test for the game and set it to radeon 9600xt 3D but the game still has the problems..... What do you think I can do to fix them?

OP
F

Firestrider

Well since I have 56k T.T im gunna wait to take it over to my friends house to DL it, but does anyone know why the graphics on a higher req game are excellent and on a lower req game the graphics are poop?

Grandpa Dan

Your card is optimized for directx 9, those older games are dx 8.1 or lower. The new omega 3.10 drivers are out for the ati cards. You get a much better control panel, etc. for all the ati features.

OP
F

Firestrider

I just downloaded the new drivers and the game is still messed up. I tryed putting in my old video card and the game was back to normal again. My old video card is 64mb radeon 7000. Could the card be screwed up or just my settings for the game? It works fine for Warcraft3.