• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick coolant question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mac42

Ok, I'm using a Maze2 block and a heater core (pretty sure it's copper) and, of course, a few brass fittings. I'm getting ready to fully enclose the system but I need some info from people who have had a setup like this running for a while.

-Is anything in there likely to corrode? I plan on using distilled water, but I'm not sure if anti-freeze and/or watter wetter is necissary (since there's no aluminum I know of). Oh, and is there a recommended biocide you use?

-How often do I need to flush the system? Obviously there is no hard and fast rule, but I'd like to hear from people who have done this before and wether there were any complications/solutions after running something like this for 6 months+.

-Is there an "easy" way to bleed the air out of the system without using a bathtub? My video waterblock is zip-tied in so I don't want to mess with it. I plan on putting something in there to let stay air collect, but I'd like to get rid of all I can.

you should use about 10% water wetter anyways just to improve your temps and reduce the corrosion that will happen anyways with water and a metal. For a biocide, Antifreeze works really well or you can get some of the biocide stuff they sell for humidifiers.

I think if you use anti-freeze you don't need water wetter. The anti-freeze protects against corrosion as well as algae/fungus growth.

Water wetter increases the thermal transfer properties of the water... anti-freeze decreases it, so the watter wetter makes up for it.

Back