• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Difference in DVD-RW and DVD-RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Whats the main difference between DVD-RW and DVD-RAM? Its it that the RW is "rewritable"?

Will both play in DVD players, and play video?

Ever since I got my 8500 AIW, I've been interested in TiVO'ing shows and then someday buying a DVD burner so I can burn captured TV to DVD to watch on any TV later.

Realized Married With Children is on FX, so I was gonna get a few hours of it recorded, and then burn to DVD :)

The price difference between DVDRAM and DVDRW drives is alot, and I'll probably get a DVD burner when they drop below $200, but I'd like to know the difference adn be sure I can burn video to them that'll play on my dvd player, ya know?

Mike

If you are looking to play movies, back up your movies, or tranfer your home videos to dvd's the DVD-RW is what you want. If you are looking for movies and data back up then the DVD+RW is what you want. The DVD-RAM is mostly for data back up. They are write/rewritealbe 100,000+ times, however some backup/home movies will not play in your home dvd system.

Thanks!

And yeah...standards can be a pain...

But, if I'm gonna go DVDR soon I better be sure I can play them in movies...sure backing up 4.7gb at a time is nice, but if you can't make your own movies too............

Mike

Back