• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick MPC655 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twiggy159

I've recently decided to liquid cool my GTX 480. I bought the waterblock at my local computer store and was originally planning on adding a 120x3 rad to my current loop, which is:

Apogee XT Waterblock : Core i7 920 @ 4GHz ~39C Idle
Swiftech 120x2 Rad
Danger Den Rad Res
MCP655

The man at the store told me that I would be fine without getting another radiator but I was kind of skeptical. But my main concern was if I got the extra rad, would the pump be able to push through all of those parts or would I have to have a second loop? I'd prefer to keep it all on one loop simply because I have very little room inside my case to mount another pump.

These would be the two options I have:

One Rad Option:
Apogee XT > EK GPU Waterblock > Res > Pump > Rad >

Two Rad Option:
CPU > 120x3 Rad > GPU > Res > Pump > 120x2 Rad >

So what is your opinion? Do you think I should go with another radiator (Even though I think what most of your answers will be :p) and if so, do you think the pump will do fine?

Pit the extra Rad in. That pump will handle it with ease. Past that you will have to have it. That CPU needs to be on a 120.3 anyways. The 480 can be handled with 120.2.

Pit the extra Rad in. That pump will handle it with ease. Past that you will have to have it. That CPU needs to be on a 120.3 anyways. The 480 can be handled with 120.2.

Heh I thought it would be the other way around. I have the CPU right now on the 120x2 and it never gets above 50C even under a load.

Stress test load or everyday use load?

Well I guess every day those temps are when playing games generally. I never really stress test my computer all that often. I think I did once and it never shot up past 60C.

Also: I just bought the Corsair 800D Case so now I shouldn't have a problem with room. I'm going to attempt to mount the radiators internally. From what I can tell, there is space for a 120x3 rad on top, and possible room for a 120x2 rad in the bottom section. It will need some slight modification such as removing that lower drive bay.

Last edited:
The CPU dumps about 150-200w (depending on frequency and Vcore), and the GTX480 dumps 170w on the low side and 275w+ heavily overclocked.

Here are the two loop ideas I was thinking of:

Res>Pump>120x2>GPU>120x3>CPU>Res

Or:
Res>Pump>120x2>CPU>120x3>GPU>Res

Which one do you think I should go with? I was thinking of the first option based on what Daemonkin and skinnee said about the CPU needing the 120x3.

inlet and outlet should be on the same side of the 120.3 (unless it's that one model of rad...can't remember the name now...

Bingo. I kept thinking stealth but I know that wasn't it. He does say DD but he doesn't specify which one in OP, so I figured it was worth noting.

Bingo. I kept thinking stealth but I know that wasn't it. He does say DD but he doesn't specify which one in OP, so I figured it was worth noting.

No that Danger Den is a reservoir. Right now the only radiator I have is a Swiftech 120x2 rad. I was thinking about going with X-Flow Black Ice Pro III Radiator but I'm not sure if it has standard G1/4 fittings.

Which one do you think I should go with? I was thinking of the first option based on what Daemonkin and skinnee said about the CPU needing the 120x3.

I didn't say that...

Anyhow, loop order doesn't matter either, make the loop easier for tube routing and just make sure you have the res before the pump for easier bleeding.

I didn't say that...

Anyhow, loop order doesn't matter either, make the loop easier for tube routing and just make sure you have the res before the pump for easier bleeding.

Oh well I figured you meant that when you said the CPU pumps out for heat than the 480.

Ordered all the parts and should be in next week!

:D

No worries (sarcasm is tough to read), since you're putting both radiators in one loop, it really doesn't matter.

Just to keep from making a new thread. Does anyone have a print-out template to use for cutting out two 120mm fans for a rad layout? I need to cut a hold on the bottom of the case for the 120.2 rad. Or does anyone have any advice on how to make one? Thanks in advance.

Alright well I'm beginning it now. I would make a build log but I'd rather just focus on getting everything done and posting the pretty pictures later :p.

Back