• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick NF7 Question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

comphackt

Registered
OK...maybee a dumb question, but I couldent figure it out. I talked my buddy into an NF7 mobo. He went with the -M version cause he has no use for SATA and firewire. Now, he has a Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra from creative. When he connects it to his computer, it connects ok, but says that he has a high speed component plugged into a non-high speed USB hub. I presume that means that its operating at USB 1.0 speeds, not 2.0.

Now his Mobo is USB 2.0 and I even went into BIOS and enabled that USB 2.0 compliancy thing. Hes running Windows XP with Sp1 and 2 installed, as well as all critical updates. Hes using the latest drivers from Abit's site, and has tried the front USB modules on his case as well as the rear. Both, it claims are 'non-high speed USB hubs'.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks.

OP
C

comphackt

Registered
Im almost positive. I bought it from newegg, and it says on the site: 2 x USB 2.0. I even went to abit's site where they have tests on usb 2.0 devices. Im sure its just a setting or a river somewhere, but I dont know where... Ill have to give it another look tonight.

Till then...let me know if you have any ideas...

enduro

Which drivers did you load? What setting in BIOS was enabled? Other than that, I'm not sure. I know that my board has them, but I only has USB 1.0 devices, so it doesn't really matter for me.

OP
C

comphackt

Registered
I got the latest drivers for him from nvidias site just the other day......
I got the latest BIOS flash for him from Abit the same day....

I was snooping around BIOS and found a field: automatically detect USB 2.0 devices. It was not exactly that, but Im at work and cant find that out for you....

Anyways...I did all that, and nothing. Im using the USB cable that came with the Nomad. is there a chance that is only a USB 1.0 cable? I might just need a USB 2.0 cable to get it to work.

Let me know what you think...

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
I'm having the exact same problem. I just got a Zen Xtra 30gb, and windows keeps thinking I have no USB2.0 ports. I just reinstalled XP a few days ago, updates and all. Before the reinstall (also before the Zen) I had USB2.0 working fine.

Maybe it's just a Zen problem? I certainly hope not... I've only put a few CD's on mine but I love it so far. Waiting for USB2 to work for the other 22 gigs of music ^__^

feanor512

Registered
Did you install the USB 2.0 drivers after installing SP1? Your USB 2.0 drivers are provided by the update, but not necessarily installed by it. See if you can update the drivers for any unknown devices or USB controllers (have XP search your HD for them) through device manager.

Fangs404

feanor512 said:
Did you install the USB 2.0 drivers after installing SP1? Your USB 2.0 drivers are provided by the update, but not necessarily installed by it. See if you can update the drivers for any unknown devices or USB controllers (have XP search your HD for them) through device manager.

yeah, that's the problem. after you install sp1, open the device manager (start -> control panel -> system -> hardware tab -> device manager). you should see something about usb device that has a yellow question mark next to it. double click it and try to update the driver. let it automatically search for the driver, and your problem will be solved. xp sp1 should automatically recognize and install your usb 2.0 drivers. you may want/need to restart.