• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Q: Phenom II X4, or Athlon II X4??? Which is 'beefier'?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
Which of these generations is 'beefier' in terms of number crunching performance (ie FOLDing), and gaming?

I haven't been following the launch times of these CPUs, so I wouldn't know which one is technically the greatest one.

nzaneb

Phenom II x 4 is their flagship. There is no L3 Cache on the Athlon II x 4 series

Dooms101

Well the main difference between the Propus (Athlon x4) and the Deneb (PhenomII x4) CPUs is there target audience. AMD targeted power users and people looking to get into quads with the Propus, so they most likely don't OC as well as the Denebs and they don't have L3 cache or as high of clocks. If you want to get 'beefiest' CPU from AMD, then get either a C3 stepping 955 or 965 PhenomII x4's. They're around $175 - $195 on NewEgg. You can tell they're C3's (which just came out) becuase they'll have an "GM" instead of "GI" in their name. C3 stepping PhenomII x4 955 on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

However, the Propus are still an amazing deal for only about $100 for the 2.6ghz and $115 for 2.8ghz. They just wont perform as well as a Deneb.

Bobnova

The PhIIs overclock further (if they're black editions), and have L3 cache.
The L3 cache gives them more performance per clock then the Athlon IIs.

QuietIce

Disabled
The Phenom will churn out maybe 15% more points than the Athlon (I assume it'll be close to SETI crunching) because of the L3 cache (~5%) and higher OC (~10%) ...