• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question about adding a folding card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxthunder

hey guys... im looking for an excuse to waste some money on hardware... found an 8800gts 640mb version. Could I simply throw this card in my rig and setup fah gpu client, or would I need to do anything special?
How many ppd aprrox. would it get? its the crappy G80 version.

Outback_Jon

I have two 9600GSO's that have the same (96) shader count. They get about 3k ppd each. (1375 shader clock - stock)

I don't know how well it will play with the ATI card in your sig, though. I don't think there are too many successful cases of running ATI and Nvidia together. If you are replacing the ATI with it, though, then basically you are on the right track.

Though you may want to correctly install the card in the slot, rather than just throw it in... :bday: And despite what the program is called, DO NOT ACTUALLY FOLD YOUR GRAPHICS CARD! This will cause the smoke that the card runs on to escape, and the card will not work anymore. :cool:

DarkWhite

I have two 9600GSO's that have the same (96) shader count. They get about 3k ppd each. (1375 shader clock - stock)

I don't know how well it will play with the ATI card in your sig, though. I don't think there are too many successful cases of running ATI and Nvidia together. If you are replacing the ATI with it, though, then basically you are on the right track.

Though you may want to correctly install the card in the slot, rather than just throw it in... :bday: And despite what the program is called, DO NOT ACTUALLY FOLD YOUR GRAPHICS CARD! This will cause the smoke that the card runs on to escape, and the card will not work anymore. :cool:

I had to LOL at this post, it reminded me of when my grandma found out my computer's case was see through, and she responded "So you can see all the parts moving?"

OP
mxthunder

mxthunder

Funny man! Somehow I knew when I put the word throw in there, someone would make a comment.
Bummer, I want to fold!! Its the SSC edition so I think the shaders run at 1675 or something like that.
I have seen that magic smoke escape one too many times ; )

OP
mxthunder

mxthunder

Well I just bought a GTX260, couldnt pass on the deal. I have no idea what im going to do with it. I think I will hook up a 2nd monitor, and try to install the normal nvidia drivers and see what happens. Id really like to use it for physx/[email protected]
If not, I will just resell it.

Outback_Jon

Well I just bought a GTX260, couldnt pass on the deal. I have no idea what im going to do with it. I think I will hook up a 2nd monitor, and try to install the normal nvidia drivers and see what happens. Id really like to use it for physx/[email protected]
If not, I will just resell it.
I'd say dump the ATI card, put the GTX260 in as your primary card, and use the 8800GTS to run your second monitor. You can then Fold away on BOTH cards, and crank out some nice PPD numbers. I get around 7.5k on my GTX260 so added to the probably 3k on the 8800GTS, that's 10k+.

With the latest drivers and Folding cores, mismatched Nvidia cards usually Fold quite well together. My main rig has the GTX260 and an 8800GT (Thanks B.A.R. Donors!) and they work quite nicely together. Even allows me to leave the 8800GT Folding away while I game on the 260GTX.

OP
mxthunder

mxthunder

Its strange, with the shaders running at 1840 (or whatever the lower strap in the 1800's is) I was getting 6900ppd with the GTS!!! Im about to fire up the 260 and see what FAHMON tells me.
Yeah, the 260 wont fit in my case with the 4890 :rain: so I just dual boot for now, swap out the card physically when I feel like folding or playing with it, until I figure out what I will do permanently, or how bad the 260 under-performs my 4890.