• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question regarding rtx 3090's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steveokinevo

I'm looking into getting 1. The question is:

With the power they require is 1 gonna be better then another just because it takes 3 8 pin connectors vs 2? Or the 12 pin I think I've seen vs 3 or 2 8 pin connectors?

I don't understand exactly what you're asking. My EVGA 3090 requires 3 8-pin power connectors, with the new BIOD, I've been able to pull right at 500W on a stress test.

Basically, does more power wires to the gpu mean more performance? I.e your 3-8 pin connectors vs any other 3090 with 2-8 pin connectors

I think it is POSSIBLE to pull more power through the higher number of connectors, yes, but it depends on if your card is designed for it and if the available BIOS will allow you to pull more power - and will that power be utilized well.

I'm looking at either a pny rtx 3080 or the gigabyte 3090 turbo. Mainly for gaming but I'm not sure if the 3090 is overkill or more futureproofing for later on? Both use 2 8 pin connectors

If you want to pay double for 10% more performance get the 3090. Otherwise the 3080 is fine.

Just because there is more power doesn't mean you get more overclocks. With 2 8-pins and the slot, you already get 375W of in spec power. ;)

That's the most economical choice unless you are using the GPU for some kind of productivity/job where the extra RAM and bit of horsepower is needed.

Last edited:
In theory the extra power plug is supposed to improve performance. Either way you are limited by the card and the cooling with this series. Personally I would go for the 3080 unless you are chasing benchmarks. The same theory applies to the 3080 with three plugs though.

i may go a different direction...... im so indecisive

is there a huge difference with a 3070 & 3080? i cureently have a 2070s, just curious how big of a difference it will be? is it really worth it?

If I had a 2070 Super I would stick with it until stock and prices stabilize and maybe beyond. Unless you really must upgrade or it isn't running something good enough I wouldn't worry about upgrading at this time. Too much of a pain to get the newer stock, especially considering the rumors of the next models.

That's up to you, you are better off checking the various reviews that are available for the different level of cards, and specifically referencing ones that are run at a similar/same resolution as your monitor to have the best understanding of what they are capable of.

I thought this review of 55 RTX 3080's was useful...Not that I had a choice , I bought what EVGA offered, but this places the EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra with 3 8 Pins near the top. (525W)

There is only one GPU on this list that is not one you should buy.

One of the best GPU's from one of the best Partners...:beer:

Can you tell us if you got it thru EVGA's Auto Notify que? What was your date?

Or was it an upgrade?

Back