• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raz0469

Registered
I just got my new CPU this morning, that I ordered from Vibe (for any Canadians out there, this is an excellent site, and they guarantee the batch number on the 1700's, good prices too, www.vibecomputers.com). Here are the numbers off of it:

AXDA1700DLT3C (from my understanding, that doesn't mean too much, other than it is 1.5V and a 1700 right?)

JIUHB0313RPMW

The RPMW confuses me, since I have not been able to find any reference to that lettering before. Most I have seen have been WPMW or something like that. The only thing I can think of is that the CPU is an OEM part, does RPMW signify a non warranty CPU?

And last, anyone know of how this batch (0313) O/C's? I assume as usual that it is excellent, but I am curious to know other people's experiences. The most recent I have seen is 0311 I believe. I am currently at work eagerly anticipating going home and dicking around with this puppy (I have an old Athlon XP2000+ from a year ago that isn't happy going much past 1800mhz, so this should be fun), so I figured I would at least ask what can be expected of this thing.

I have an ASUS A7V333 mobo with a Enermax 350W supply, and one of those Vantec fans (http://www.vibecomputers.com/index.cfm?loc=iview&if=n&vID=137651) which seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the Xp2000+ @ 1.85 relatively cool (within 8C degrees of the case temp under load, within 3C idle), so I think I should be able to get some decent O/Cing out of this chip.

One last question! For cleaning CPUs and heatsinks, is standard rubbing alcohol okay to use? Or should I be looking for some fancy stuff instead? My XP2000+ is a goddamn mess :D

xcelerator

dang....u should've ordered a week 10 version of your cpu, if you did you kan prolly overclock quite high.

tediber

new steppings new week hehehe try it out !!! and see how high it can fly !!! just don't forget to clear your CMOS before booting it up ....... i'm so ****ed a guy bought my spare XP1700+ DLT3C .... and used an aluminum crap HSF and he's old proc was a palomino at 1.75volts .... didn't clear the CMOS ..... whoala !!! burnt cpu !!! damn !!!

efini

I use 99% isopropryl alchohol and it works fine. Its about $1 at any local pharmacy. It will still leave a very thin residue but as far as I can tell it hasn't really affected my overclocks.

-efini

OP
R

raz0469

Registered
Well, finally got my system back up and running. It was a goddamn nightmare, as somehow from just swapping the CPU in and out, something moved or shifted and there was a short somewhere. Finally I ended up pulling everything apart just to see if I managed to burn out both of my CPU's (old and new), and sure enough, they were fine (well okay no, I did burn out the old but that's another story :D). So I put the mobo back in the case, hooked up all the drives and power etc, and placed just the video card in. Everything worked fine. Put the rest of the expansion cards back in, thinking that the problem had been solved and there was no way they could affect it. But sure enough when I put my lan card and sound card back in, the system would not boot or post. Eventually I just swapped slots around a bit and it boots fine. What a pain in the damn ***, not to mention I wrecked a perfectly good (although hot running and barely OCable) XP2000 in the process.

With my new 1700 (0313RPMW), I am at 180X12x1.7v stable. The memory is PC2700, so I was surprised when I discovered that the FSB was perfectly stable at 190. I don't have it particularily aggressively cooled (using one of those nice Vantec HSF set ups, pretty quiet yet still pretty effective), and the case is a piece of **** (hence the shorts I think) with very little airflow, so I am sure the CPU could have another few hundred mhz squeezed out of it. It doesn't want to run above 2.2ghz stable with my current set up, unfortunately. However, the 100 bucks (canadian) it cost me to buy this CPU pushed back the purchase of a new motherboard and CPU by a year, so I am quite satisfied. Going to buy a newer better case one of these days, with good airflow, so it's very possible that I could push it a bit more (PC probe is currently showing the CPU as 48C and motherboard/case as 38C, ambient room temp is 22ish).

And as an added bonus, today I discovered what a burned out processor smells like!

OP
R

raz0469

Registered
I have another question: in my Asus A7V333 bios, it will only let me set the voltage from 1.5 to 1.7, is there a way to unlock it somewhere? There is a jumped on the board called VID that is supposed to unlock the voltage, however it doesn't seem to have any effect whether I have it on 1-2 or 2-3.

Also, I can't find any RAM voltage settings in there either. Is that a feature that only newer boards have, or again does it need to be unlocked?