• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cuddles

Ok, I did read the sticky, but just want to clarify one thing here. If I buy PC3200 Ram, it probably won't run too far over 200Mhz, but if I'm OC'ing my FX-53, I'm going to want to be able to push my memory farther past than the PC3200 ram will go. So should I be purchasing PC3700 ram instead to give myself that headroom when I up the FSB? I'll have degraded timings, but I'll have the headroom to bring the FSB past 200 without ram not keeping up, right? I don't know much about the technical aspects of ram and am planning on watercooling / OC'ing my new system in September, and am trying to learn as much as I can before I make any purchases.

EDIT : With a S939 system, is (2x512)x2 an alright choice for 2GB total Ram with decent timings?

Captain Turd

Yes, you would want a higher PC RAM if you're overclocking a A64. If money is not an issue then some OCZ PC3700 Enhanced Bandwidth will serve you nicely. With that RAM I don't think you need 2 gigs, but if you want to go for it.

flapperhead

how about getting some of that pc4400 and running the fsb at240/ 250 and the ram at 5/6 ratio?? some other guy did it ithink it was maxvala