• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick RAM Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caotuan

I would like to know if you can use two different size RAM sticks. I have two 16Gb sticks and two 8Gb sticks. My original plan was to have 32Gb (2x16) total but accidentally bought a total of 16Gb (2x8). They are the exact same, brand, speed, everything, except size. If not then I guess i have some brand new RAM to sell.

Thanks

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Welcome to Overclockers Caotuan!

You can run different size ram together, however, it is generally a bad idea to mix ram kits due to different speeds. Since your kits are identical speeds you should be fine. If it's possible for you to return them and get the correct size that would be the ideal situation. If not then you will be fine the way you have it.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
One suggestion would be to put the same size sticks in their own channel. You can check your manual but typically slot 1+3 is one channel and slot 2+4 is another.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
One suggestion would be to put the same size sticks in their own channel. You can check your manual but typically slot 1+3 is one channel and slot 2+4 is another.

This. Also, sometimes the memory slots are color-coded, so one color is one channel and another color is the other channel.

From a quick search, if your MB has FLEX mode memory configuration and you run different sizes you'll lose some dual-channel RAM speed benefit. You will only get dual-channel on the smaller amount. So if you run 8 GB sticks on one channel and 16 GB sticks on the other, you will have 16 GB of RAM running in dual-channel, but the other 16 GB will run slower single-channel speeds. See: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...00005657/boards-and-kits.html?wapkw=flex#flex

If you can return a set and get identical sticks all around, that is the best option.