• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Review of *Decent* Upgrade - Thanks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zadok

Registered
Hey guys, I'm a vet of TechIMO. Had a lot of posts and ranking over there, but it's toast now. Been thinking of this change for a while anyway!

So here's an upgrade. Just wanted opinions. This is going to be a do it all upgrade -- Needs to run much of Adobe Creative, like P-Shop and AI w/o hiccups light video rendering. And some reasonable gaming.

Only planning on modest OCing, if I need to do any at all...

Current:

- Intel SSD
- Corsair PSU 650 watts

New upgrade goodies (All NewEgg):

- Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I58600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
$239.99

-ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD, Multi-Directional Mount, 92mm PWM Fan
$21.66

-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVB

- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard Smart Fan 5, Dual M.2, Amp-Up Audio, USB 3.1, Multi-Graphics Support

Undecided:

New GPU card - just not sure yet...

Thanks guys!

:welcome:

6-core CPU? That's a lot of cores. Do you have a specific need for that many cores or what was the thought process to select that one?
I would prefer the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as a cooler if it were me. The heat pipes contact directly to the CPU for better cooling IMHO.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...r_master_hyper_212_evo-_-35-103-099-_-Product
I have several kits of G.SKILL and I like them a lot.

GPU's are tough. Coin miners have taken the entire market of mid to high range cards. Prices are way high. What are you looking to do with the machine.

Hey thanks! Just so you know I re-did this post over on the mobo side... hitting my question a little differently.

So yeah "what am I going to use this for?" Yup, 90% high-end creatives machine. Must have open Photoshop, AI, InDesign, browsers, and often run some easy video editing / rendering (not AE) as well. Beyond that, some after-hours gaming, and needs really great multi-media, audio, etc.

Cannot hang, lag, screw up, etc.

Running on SSD for OS and programs, then other physical drives for data (WD Black 1T twin drives -- not RAID).

Hey guys, I'm a vet of TechIMO. Had a lot of posts and ranking over there, but it's toast now. Been thinking of this change for a while anyway!

So here's an upgrade. Just wanted opinions. This is going to be a do it all upgrade -- Needs to run much of Adobe Creative, like P-Shop and AI w/o hiccups light video rendering. And some reasonable gaming.

Only planning on modest OCing, if I need to do any at all...

Current:

- Intel SSD
- Corsair PSU 650 watts

New upgrade goodies (All NewEgg):

- Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I58600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
$239.99

-ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD, Multi-Directional Mount, 92mm PWM Fan
$21.66

-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVB

- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard Smart Fan 5, Dual M.2, Amp-Up Audio, USB 3.1, Multi-Graphics Support

Undecided:

New GPU card - just not sure yet...

Thanks guys!

Welcome I used to frequent site as well along with a few others .
That looks like a decent build except the HSF spend a bit more and get something decent .

Welcome I used to frequent site as well along with a few others .
That looks like a decent build except the HSF spend a bit more and get something decent .

Hey thanks, yeah nobody likes that Artic cooler anymore, I've used them, last forever. These new CPUs are low wattage, but you think with Ocing will push out waaay more heat?? I'm not thinking of pushing the CPU that hard :)

Hey thanks, yeah nobody likes that Artic cooler anymore, I've used them, last forever. These new CPUs are low wattage, but you think with Ocing will push out waaay more heat?? I'm not thinking of pushing the CPU that hard :)

They were ok back in the day ( I always opted for Thermalrights my self) but they wont hold up to the Heat that these new CPUs put out . Even 2x120mm AIO's can't really tame them when pushing the volts .

Okay, I'm coming from the dark ages... Some old builds I did with the Artic had 125 watt CPUs, cooled fine. These new ones are like 65 watts. So a "watt" is a measure of power as well as heat dissipation. Electronic components often are rated in watts of heat dissipation - eg. a "resistor." And similarly, the "watts" statement on each CPU - the power they consume to do their work, as well as the heat they must dissipate. Thus, the new "lower watt" CPUs must hit like 150 watts if you heavily OC? Sorry, just trying to get an idea of "how this works" -- been hanging with too many engineering dudes for too long :)

200+ watts depending on the CPU =)

I know what watts are (was a Computer Electronics Tech and now am a Electrician)
watt.JPG

yea, 200 watts overclocked is not out of the question, big clocks, many cores= more heat. that means a better cooler is needed.

Your old builds also had a superior thermal paste between the die and ihs...the main issue. ;)

Should really be one thread tho... :)

Back