• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick soldering question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monaco

trying to build myself another waterblock- this time I'd like something stonger than JB Weld.

I'm trying to join an Al base with a Cu cap- is there a particular type of solder/flux you guys recommend? Needs to work at relatively low temps- I'm using a stove instead of a torch.

The hardware store has like 3 kinds that will work at 450F, but they are not specifically labelled for use on aluminum. Does that matter?

RainMaQer

3D God
In my experience aluminum is a pain in the butt to solder. I read that it has to be heated VERY quickly (can't remember why) and you have to use aluminum solder... the problem you'll run into then is that aluminum solder only really likes to bond with aluminum... silver solder with silver... etc. It can be done... but if your looking for something relatively easy to do I'd stick with the JBweld...

*EDIT*
This thread might help a little.

LimeyGreg

You can solder aluminum to aluminum (with considerable dificulty might I add) but you will not be able to solder aluminum to copper. You'd be better off if you could get an aluminum cap and then get it TIG or MIG welded to the base.

OP
Monaco

Monaco

thanks guys. I was pretty sure that the dissimilar metals would be a problem, now I know for sure. They DID have some stuff that was supposed to work on AL but it melted at like 1300 degrees, I ain't doing that on a stove that's for sure:)

turns out I'd be bonding brass, not copper, to make it even more difficult. I'm just going for the epoxy I think, I want this stupid thing done.