• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick SSD question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

Probably a dumb question, but... I will be installing a new OS on an existing SSD. Should I be concerned about read or write cycles with a full format, or is there anything I could/should do differently than on a HDD?

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
850 EVO? Just use the Samsung software, it takes care of everything.

OP
Alaric

Alaric

The Samsung software won't be installed on the drive when I install the new OS. Should I let Winders do the work or is there a way to boot in to the Samsung software on a flash drive and let the Samsung stuff handle it? Or am I way over thinking the whole process? Oh, and any idea why Windows is only showing a 465 GB capacity for a 500 GB drive? I understand the differential in the MB and GB ratings, but 35 GB exceeds that by a fair margin.

mackerel

Just do a fast format. No point in a full format.

465 computer GB = 499,289,948,160 B. Close enough.

ATMINSIDE

The Samsung software won't be installed on the drive when I install the new OS. Should I let Winders do the work or is there a way to boot in to the Samsung software on a flash drive and let the Samsung stuff handle it? Or am I way over thinking the whole process? Oh, and any idea why Windows is only showing a 465 GB capacity for a 500 GB drive? I understand the differential in the MB and GB ratings, but 35 GB exceeds that by a fair margin.

Just install to it like normal, then install the Samsung software.

The multiplier from manufacturer bytes to PC bytes is 0.931x which puts you at 465GB.
Remember, Windows pulls part of the drive for a reserved area as well.

ATMINSIDE

Seems like a pretty big gap at 35 GB on a 500 GB drive but that's exactly how Windows sees it so I'm moving on from that. Thanks!

Manufacturers say 1GB = 1,000,000,000 Bytes.
Operating Systems say 1KB = 1,024 Bytes, 1MB = 1,024 KB, and 1GB = 1,024 MB.
1/(1024x1024x1024) = 0.931322574615478........ AKA 0.931x :thup: