• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick suggestions for a new android phone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

well it happened, my G3 died. I get boot loops and I can some times rectify the problem but it doesn't last long before it crashes. When it started boot looping after a factory reset during the set up screens I knew it wasn't a bad app, sim or memory card (removed those prior to FDR) and of course it had to happen when theres family in the hospital and I need to be able to make actual real phone calls.

I'm looking at sub $500 could pay out right or Next, I absolutely will not buy Samsung and the last apple product I used personally was an Apple IIe. when I was selling cell phones for a living I wasn't a big fan of iOS stuff. I haven't had that job for nearly 7 months now.

I'm considering the G6, I found an unlocked T-Mobile branded one for $450 ish Link and then I saw this Sony Xperia XA1 for $400 ish link.

any potential problems using the unlocked T-Mobile branded phone on at&t?
not too sure about the sony I worked at Walmart in the cellphone area and we didn't get much of any thing other than samsungs, apples, and really cheap utter crap for really cheap people.

or some thing else?

I mostly use it for research on the go for what ever I come across for my collection, e-bay, phone calls, work e-mail.
my most used apps are amazon, e-bay, newegg, Line and Discord on a rare occasion i'll play pokemon duel

Suit yourself. At this point I think you can safely assume gumbymint goons are spying on you 24/7 anyway. No Such Agency doesn't build billion dollar facilities in the desert cuz it's fun. Plus it's not like apple or google have what you'd call...stellar records when it comes to protecting their customer's privacy.

What about the Moto G5 Plus? Solid specs if underwhelming, reasonable screen, almost stock android.

I think you can find some cheap google pixels around now too? Leading up to the Pixel 2/2xl launches.

I know you likely would rather "just get a new one" but your device can probably be fixed by flashing the stock firmware. I dont know about your specific device, but I have dealt with more than 1 manufacturer that will send you a zip with the stock firmware and flashing instructions. Out of more than 10 devices I have only had 1 that couldn't be fixed with a reflash, but keep in mind that one *did* die from a factory reset... GL

I know you likely would rather "just get a new one" but your device can probably be fixed by flashing the stock firmware. I dont know about your specific device, but I have dealt with more than 1 manufacturer that will send you a zip with the stock firmware and flashing instructions. Out of more than 10 devices I have only had 1 that couldn't be fixed with a reflash, but keep in mind that one *did* die from a factory reset... GL

I've tried that in the past when this first started happening and they just send me what ever they just pushed OTA. I still gave it a shot but it persisted.
I visited my manager friend at at&t today and he said hes seen a lot of g3's g4's and g5's come in all with this same problem. he is thinking they pushed some update that was poorly made.
going to do some digging but it still doesn't explain why my wifes phone, which is the same as mine, has no problems at all.

Just to toss this in I literally just picked up an LG Aristo. it has a 4 core Snapdragon in it etc. 5 inch screen. Decent reviews from what I saw so far on the sound and cam quality. $150.00. Certainly NOT a G7/8 but it indeed gets the job done.Ummm. . . its using Nougat too. Good luck on your new phone man. Lets us know what you decided to buy :)

Z

LG Stylo 3 plus. Fingerprint scanner, great cameras, 8 core CPU, plenty of RAM and storage, and it has a stylus like a Note. Great alternative to the Note if you're concerned about losing an ear.

If LG has lost you as a customer, I hear OnePlus is getting majorly good with their phones as well. There's also the original Pixel.

Get Xiaomi you wont be disappointed. Got 4a for my gf and its amazing, BUT there are also more expensive models that are ofc way better. If you ask me they are better than IPhone-s and way less expensive

Back