• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quicky on Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lugnat

Registered
OK I am using Raid 0 right now (software raid) with 2 velaciraptors and another raid 0 with 2 500 gig wd drives..

My question is would it be better for me just to use each as an Individual drive? As I really dont see much performance increase except in benches of course. As I do not have hardware raid yet..
For example Use one Raptor for Windows 7 the other for all my programs (Nero zone alarm etc)

And use the other 500 gigers split up into partitions for backups and multimedia?

Thanks for any advice..:bang head

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
I would recommend using the drives separately, especially for data that you need more security. The Velociraptors should be sufficiently fast for general OS and application usage.

OP
L

lugnat

Registered
Thanks Xaotic! I was thinking it was time to go back to singles drives until I got hardware Raid and some SSD's... This AMD chipset with gigabytes new Raid chipset is for the birds!

jason4207

Don't buy a dedicated RAID card for RAID0. That's a massive waste. You don't need expensive RAID hardware for RAID 0 or RAID1. RAID5 or RAID6 is where you want a dedicated card. The onboard Intel RAID chips are very good at RAID0 or RAID1...I can't speak for the Gigabyte RAID.

You mentioned that your data is in RAID0 in the first post, but your sig says it's in RAID1.

If the latter, I'd leave it the way it is unless you want to sell 1 of the VRs for some extra cash. The RAID0 VRs will give you a performance increase, and I think you'll notice it if you drop down to 1.

I don't see why you'd want to run just the OS on 1 VR and programs on another. 300GB should be plenty of space for both.