• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet? cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brojoh2

Registered
Yo . . . so things are progressing nicely . . . time to think about taking a step-up in cooling. I know there are plenty of choices out there but I thought I'd ask for input. I have problems with migraines - killers. The noise factor can really get to me so I'm asking for experiences with excellent coolers that live on the not-so-loud side. Any input will be appreciated. Thanx.

Abit KT7-RAID
Tbird 900 @1050 (fsb just will not oc)
128 MB Corsair CAS2
256 MB Crucial CAS2
Elsa Gladiac GeForce2 GTS 215/345
Global Win FOP32-1
IBM DeskStar 75 GXP 30 GB
Plextor 12/10/32A CD-RW
Toshiba 48X CD-ROM
SB Live Value sound
Creative Modem Blaster

Yo . . . so things are progressing nicely . . . time to think about taking a step-up in cooling. I know there are plenty of choices out there but I thought I'd ask for input. I have problems with migraines - killers. The noise factor can really get to me so I'm asking for experiences with excellent coolers that live on the not-so-loud side. Any input will be appreciated. Thanx.

I guess it depends on how extreme you want to get. A good low $/easy solution would be to get a FOP38 and put a 80mm fan on it. To further reduce noise you could make a small voltage regulator or add a rheostat, swiftech sells a rheostat as a plug and play option if you dont want to do the work yourself. For near absolute silence chilled water cooling is great. I mess around doing a little bit of audio/video editing and the silence is important! A chiller and pump in another room means that the only thing I hear is the PSU fan and with some mods to create a convection current this fan could be eliminated also.

The higher the rpm fan turns it creates higher dBa level. The smaller fan like the Delta 60mm really whine. Most CPU Coolers use 60mm fans, but the lower rpm fans move less air & don't cool as good. Watercooling is the quiet way. The Paniflo Fans are known to be a quiet fan.

Pat

watercooling is the way to go to be as quiet as possible. For the quitest cooling however, use a large radiator, like a small car's. I am using this in a project I am working on and the beauty is that you do not need a radiator fan. In fact, this is by far the quietest system I have ever heard. Sure its really big, and does not allow any portability, but hey, quiet is quiet. This summer I am building two water rigs, one is not going to be moved aroundand will use a large radiator such as a cars, and the other will use a radiator I can mount in the case.

For air cooling, use large 120mm fans and turn the RPM down some. That should lower some temps. There are also people that are building all types of noise shrouds.

Yomama (Apr 11, 2001 12:07 p.m.):
I you don't like noise consider a watercooling kit. Here's my report:

Thanx for the heads up . . . would you have a source/resource for the Leufkens to go along with that recommendation? Thanx again.

If you want quiet, bigger fans are the way to go. I just finished installing a simple adapter to attach an 80mm fan to my PEP66T. I just used two pieces of 3/16" clear lucite, and cut out holes using a dremel tool, with the fan as a template. I now have a high flow fan that is virtually silent.

Yomama (Apr 11, 2001 05:39 p.m.):
brojoh2 (Apr 11, 2001 02:34 p.m.):
Yomama (Apr 11, 2001 12:07 p.m.):
I you don't like noise consider a watercooling kit. Here's my report:

Thanx for the heads up . . . would you have a source/resource for the Leufkens to go along with that recommendation? Thanx again.

Sure: :) http://www.leufkentechnologies.com

Good luck

Yo

That seems like it might be a good starting point for entry to the realm of water-cooled. I'm curious why your choice was aluminum vs copper? Any particular considerations for that decision/choice?

Back