• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mils128 said:
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature

Absolutely off-topic but found it rather interesting... where are you getting this figure from?? Seems excessively high. Is this for the United States alone or worldwide?

Last edited:
fair enough... just might want to make sure that's accurate, seems like a very high number.

Anyways, back to your problem. Have you pinpointed exactly where the noise is coming from? On both my watercooled systems, all I can hear is the pump. Might want to start there. If the fans on your rad are at 7v, the only way you will hear them is if you use your case as a pillow. Also what size fans are you using on the case itself? 80mm are generally very loud at full blast. Nothing that a fan controller would not take care of.

You loop needs water every two days? There is obviously something wrong with it. Depending on the length of tubing you use + the BIX2 (or 2 BIX) you are using, there is a lot of water on your loop. You claim there are no leaks, so how do you suggest the water is escaping? According to your signature, you use a t-line thereofore you have a closed loop. There is no way for your water to escape unless there is a leak or not enough time was allowed for the air to leave your rad. Again have both my loops running for about eleven months now since last cleaning and the water levels are the same. Check that and really go over the connections to make sure you don't see any water. Toilet paper is a good tool to use.

Bottom line: determine the source of the noise, check for leaks, refill and seal loop, get a Rheobus or any other sort of fan controller and get those fan's voltage lowered. That should bring you acceptable volume levels. Good Luck!

PS: if you end up getting rid of the watercooling system, I call dibs on the Storm and on the BIX2 (can never have enough of those!).

Ctrl_Alt_Del, thank you for your suggestions but really i am just ready to let go of watercooling. i do not overclock so their is no reason why i should have watercooling and not normal air cooling, i am about to buy my parts and need a CPU block

that was my typo, please excuse it a Air cooler, looking at the xp-120 or freezer sieres want it to be easy to install. which one should i go with
and also should i replace the fans that come with the P180, or keep them and just get one or 2 new panflos

n/m, deal is done bought a xp-120, P180, L1A (4) and a HD VIbrator reducer and another goody. thx for all your help guys

mils128 said:
from what i have found, that doesn't fit my intel

The arctic freezer 7 Pro is the exact same cooler, but for the P4. Supposed to rival the ninja in cooling, watch out for the mounting system though, it has similar mounts to the LGA775 stock heatsink crap clips.

~ Gos

yeah i went ahead with the xp-120 plus i descovered a leak in my WC. oh well its going out tommorow, when my xp-120 arrives, xoxide is fast as heck to me, 2 days flat. my P1280 hasn't even hsipped or anything and my panflos will be here on friday.

I think that a w/c system should almost always be quieter than an aircooled setup. Let's start with what the loudest component on your case right now? For quiet 120's that can push a lot of air if needed, and yet be put on a lower voltage to reduce noise, I would suggest a pair of San Ace Sanyo Denki 120x38mm fans on a fan controller.

You should really take a look at what is the loudest component on your case and work from there. How loud is that Pondmaster pump? I'm using an MCP 655 and I can't hear it over the spin on my harddrives.

its been lopud because of the leak and the air inside the loop, got my 120 today so when the case arrives i will transfer everything.

the equipment will be repaired and probally be put on another rig sometime later. for now i have decommisioned it. i am using Panflo's L1A with a Fan Controller

Normally, a water cooled loop does not have any cavitation. Since you've already decommissioned it, I suggest finding a better method of bleeding all the air out of the system. It will definetly be much, much quieter without any air in the loop. Probably a good idea to leaktest too, IMHO.

i did leaktest, and everything was working fine no leaks then. it was wierd. anyways WC is in for repair but with the default Antec fans (Panflos not in yet. this system is very quiet.my AMD 64 sittn out here without a case is louder

i am very happy. btw bleeding done with Res

Back