• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet power supply search

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme404

Hey guys, I am looking for a power supply that is 400w or more and is quiet. My computer is just too loud and I am reworking it now. So if anyone knows of any good quality units that are considered to be pretty quiet, let me know.

Thanks!!!! ;)

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3

antec true power 430 and above, enermax, fortron with 120mm fan, or you can just buy a panaflo fan (21dba, practically inaudible) and replace the fan in your current psu - lots of people do that and it works great

Southpaw

where is that link to the Panaflo PS mod.....I thought I saw it here somewhere but cant find it..

SP

Don6323

Registered
Well what brand of pwr supply do you have now? I would tell you that a good pwr supply is worth the extra bucks. I had a cheap CompUSA 400w and just replace it with an Enemax Whisper which I can't tell its on unless I put my ear to it. But what I like most about the pwr supply is the short circut protection. Oh yeah this pwr supply runs alot cooler than the cheapie CompUSA. Which all of us know is very important.

Don6323

wannaoc

I'd say the Kingwin 450w Divine series. It has four fans but is very quiet with the switch on the back of it. One setting auto per heat, one is full, and one is silent setting. I use it and love it, my last single fan power supply made more noise. Just my thoughts. :)

OP
X

xtreme404

Thank Guys, these all look good. Right now if I remember correctly I have a Foxconn 400w.

I am also replacing my Volcano 7 hs with a AX-7 and putting a quieter fan on that also.

Thanks again
-Adam

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
Southpaw said:
where is that link to the Panaflo PS mod.....I thought I saw it here somewhere but cant find it..

SP

I did the same thing with a 20dba fan.

Basically you open up the powersupply cut the black and red wires from the fan and splice it to the black and red wires from the quiet fan. It's very simple and the results are fascinating.

Hookem

The Antec True Powers are a great...They have two "fan only" headers that you can connect up to three fans (total) that adjust the fan speed according to system temps...Very quiet power supplys...The 350 watt Sparkle at www.xpdirect.com/ that has a single 120m/m fan is another excellent choice for a quiet but powerful power supply...Just built a box this weekend using a Thermaltake power supply and it has a adjustment for the fan's that works great...Picked up TrueControl 550 but have not used it yet...It also has the ability to adjust the fan speed's that are inside the power supply...nice piece for 105.00 @ www.directron.com/ That 350 Sparkle with the single 120m/m fan for the money is hard to beat...:)

EmTSea19

I recommend the Seasonic ATX PFC 400 Watt. Comes with an ADDA fan, and is very quiet. The fan is easy to switch out if you want to go for an even quieter fan. Enough connectors. It is a very efficient PSU. It's worked well for me. I have read that it is quieter than the Zalman.