• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R 9700 OC - best memory timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spider2000

Hi. I've jus found a program called "Rabbit" (you can download it from http://www.radeon2.ru/bios/util/RaBiT-1.0a.zip ). With this program you can change things like mem timings, core/mem clocks etc. by editing Graphic's Card BIOS.

My question is what are the best OC mem timings (tRCD, tRP, tRas, tCas, and tRbs) for Radeon 9700 with Hynix 3,6ns? Have anyone of you tested OC with diffrent timing settings?

PS. sorry about my english.

As i see noone know anything or noone wants to tell me anything so I'll ask for something else.

Here are the Memory timings which i can change:
tRCD
tRP
tRas
tCas
tRbs

Can anyone tell me "what is what" and what are the dependences between these timings?

And i'm again sorry about my english... i don't know it good :-/

Yeah, I'd like to learn more about this also..... seems like good stuff. I'm willing to bet its a well kept secret.

Bump. This stuff looks very, very interesting. I'll try to set aside a few hours to play with the timings, but till then, does anyone have any info on them?

Spider2000- Great find and welcome to the forums!

you change the setting in the .BIN file and then flash the card with this BIOS?
Can you change those settings on the fly? :)

Well for higher overclocks, we increase the memory timings (generally speaking). If you decrease the values expect the radeon to be unstable.

All my research on this topic indicates that relaxing the timings will gain more MHz but there doesn't seem to be any real evidence that higher MHz and looser timings helps. I'm going on vacation for a few day but when I get back my 9700pro will become the next victim.... there doesn't seem to be any real danger of messing up the card but it would be advisable to have a pci video card on standby in case you mess up something and have to flash the bios back to the original.

My last "victim" was an intel celeron from way back in the day.... we all started out as noobies..... :D Any hardware to be modified is potentially a victim and I'm known for modding things till they bleed..... :eek:

I've got informations from my friends that changing timings don't do anything to increase OC. The only thing they've noticed after flashing thier BIOS with new timings were artifacts even in OS :) .

You needn't have a PCI card to reflash your graphics's card BIOS if you "messed it up" (I don't know if I'm using this two words correctly). Only thing you need is a DOS bootable floppy disk with correctly written autoexec file and backuped BIOS file :)

If I made any mistakes, or used "unproper english" I'm sorry again ;-)

I don't see anything wrong with your post.

You said it correctly. All you need is a floppy, a floppy bootable PC (must boot it before the OS) and an autoexec file (should have something along flash -(parameters) (biosname). That way, as soon as the PC boots up, the autoexec is executed and it reflashes the bios (you do have a backup of the original bios on that floppy, right?)

o.k. people... I'm going to try this out. I'm booting from a CD (no floppy) so how do I save my original bios to my harddrive using atiflash?

NEVERMIND I got it.....

Last edited:
u can change the mem timings on the latest BiosEdit i left mine at Cas2 tho but it did help my mem get a better overclock with the one made for samsung ram chips before i could only do 310mhz then once i did the flash i can reach 344mhz

O.k. here is my update but the news isn't good. Turns out I have a phantom VGA.... I can't get a listing for the VGA or the bios in atiflash (both fields are blank). All I know is that it's the R300 chip (which is the 9700pro btw) Just ordered one of those Sapphire 9800pros for 199.00 at Newegg..... basically this means I'd gonna do bad, evil things to this 9700pro.... :mad: I flashed the bios to the FIC bios and it still won't list the bios in atiflash. Seems like someone went thru a lot of trouble to keep that hidden. anyway.... tonight I'm gonna torture this card to see what it can do..... (that's if this thing will let me) so far I can only change bios using winflash..... I keep getting errors even when using atiflash if I use the -f code. I'll keep you posted......

Back