• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R350 bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

What is the difference between the r350 and the r360. All I know about these chips is the sapphire comes with the r360. My Ati comes with the r350, is this bad or just the same?

David

Forums Super Moderator
I know very little about ATi cards, but perhaps the R360 is a revison of the R350? Just perhaps a faster clocked/updated core?

Did a little bit of googling and found this: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9672
R360 hasn't been taped out as such as the R360 is just an improved production yield from R350 chips that is going to work at higher frequencies than 400 MHz, we think.

The R360 uses the same old and now proven 0.15µ marchitecture since making this chip at 0.13µ would cost a lot of money, unnecessarily delay this chip and give Nvidia time to ship enough FX 5900 Ultra for some time without ATI's faster answer.

R350 and R360 have DDR 2 memory controller as well, apart from the 256 bit memory support meaning that this card won't have any problems using DDR 2 memory and can be clocked quite.

ATI will clock this card just a bit higher than Geforce FX 5900 Ultra to steal Nvidia's thunder one more time, if all goes according to its plans.

Knowing ATI's development process, this chip is likely to change a few frequencies before it becomes reality so now is a little too soon to talk about the new chip. You could easily consider this chip as a revision of R350 that will of course work faster than Radeon 9800 PRO.

We have good reason to believe that R360 will be called the Radeon 9900 Pro since this is the only name left for this marchitecture based on R300 and its upgrade roadmaps.

YellowDart

Having an r350 core isn't necesarily a bad thing. I've got one on my 9800 pro, and it still sits clocked happily higher than stock 9800XT speeds. (See sig) The main benefit you'll get from having the r360 core is that you have a little better chance at achieving a little higher oc on your card... but it's not really a general rule... there are still a lot of guys around here w/ some bad *** r350 chips. ;)

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
nothing wrong with the r350 core. 9800pros with the r360 are more like a bonus. You get a core that goes on a higher class card (the 9800xt). There may be a slight increase in performance but the reason I like it is cause you can monitor your gpu temps like if it were a 9800xt. That seems to be the only real difference, giver or take a few MHz.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311829

Last edited:

Nightingale

Its not that bad to get an R350 core I mean I have one and I was able to flash to XT. The only nice thing about the R360 is the temp moniter on the core.

redface

ahhhhh, i am going to get one soon :D
this thing is gettting cheaper and cheaper everday.
hope i get a bargain similar to the 9100 i got a year ago ;)

Charloz24

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
What is the difference between the r350 and the r360. All I know about these chips is the sapphire comes with the r360.

Not always. I have one sapphire 9800 pro 128mb 256bit and have an R350 core. :-/