• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r350 vs. r360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

purplepots

Registered
What are the benefits of the r350 core and the benefits for the r360 core?

Cuz i figured if there wasn't much of a difference between the two, I could just buy the HIS Excalibur 9800 pro and have the HSF and ramsinks already installed, but if there was a worthwhile difference, then i figured I could buy the sapphire 9800 pro and hope it comes with an r360 and then put the VGA Silencer on it (without ramsinks).
Advice?

OP
P

purplepots

Registered
Ouch, that really stinks...

I guess that's one point for the HIS excalibur....

Charloz24

Yeah and don't make my mistake. I bought a new sapphire 9800 pro and a vga silencer rev 3. I didn't try it before changing the heatsink and the card is defective. Now I'm stuck with it, cause I modify it :bang head

Last edited:
OP
P

purplepots

Registered
DexterPunk said:
my HIS came with an R360.. clocks to 450/375.. default.. 370/335

but from what i gather, the HIS Excalibur doesn't come with R360's very often...

and also

THAT is assuming the r360 is preferred over the r350 which brings back the qestion about the advantages of each?

Chum

How do you know your HIS came with R360...did you take off heatsink...will you give me your serial and model # so I can compare it with mine?

OP
P

purplepots

Registered
shard said:
MSI comes with the R360 all the time, so go get them, also it OC's like a madman!!!

So does that mean r360 is preferred?
Why?

and BTW, does the MSI OC better than the HIS?

DexterPunk

Registered
Chum said:
How do you know your HIS came with R360...did you take off heatsink...will you give me your serial and model # so I can compare it with mine?

i took of my arctic silencer to check.. wiped off the thermal past.. (which looked like arctic silver.. but wasnt spread evenly).. and, ta dah!! the chip had ATI R360 written on the core. thats how i know..

serial number and model number of the core??? if thats what u mean.. well i dont know it off the top of my head.. and i woudl have to take out my card and rip off the silencer again.. which i dont wanna do.

as far as 350 Vs 360.. i have no idea.. are the 9800's coming with a 360 that didnt meet XP specs??? doesnt seem so in my case, as its running 450 quite easy.. so are they just making one core to save money.. clocking them to a different speed. the latter seems the most likely in my case.. and perhaps this means that the R360's (if your lucky to get a good overclocker) are going to be happier for longer being overclocked. im guessing no one would really know the answer to whats better unless you worked at the manufacturer.

Last edited:
OP
P

purplepots

Registered
So would it be worth it to chance the Sapphire for an r360 and apply the HSF later or just go with the HIS Excalibur 9800 pro?

DexterPunk

Registered
well as i said.. my HIS 9800pro has an R360.. so going with the HIS doesnt necessarily mean u wont get an R360. maybe get the HIS.. take off the arctic silencer and check the core.. if its not R360 (if that matters a lot to you) then return it, and say u were not happy woth the card.. if they let u?

WheaT

Well there are some advantages with the r350, and some advantages with the r360. First off, if your looking to flash your card to XT you will be better off with a 360. Personally after searching these forums I have found people are more successful flashing with the r360, however there are still plenty that have a 350 core and have had no problems.

With the 360 you gain the temp monitor if you so wish to use it, however I have also heard that to be able to utilize that you have to have an xt pcb also. There is some circuitry that is required.(I know I spelled that wrong?)

The r350 on the other hand is said to be more overclockable. Based on the fact that these processors met specs ont he assembly line and were allowed to be put into cards. Alot of the r360 cores in pro cards also did the same, they met the specs for a pro card, yet didnt make the cut for the xt cards. Now this is all speculation,and in my book valid reasoning. Yet agian, I have seen plenty of r360 cores that are quite overclockable. (Mine) I dont know where I am going with this so I am going ot stop now. ;)

DexterPunk

Registered
WheaT said:
Alot of the r360 cores in pro cards also did the same, they met the specs for a pro card, yet didnt make the cut for the xt cards.

well this is the part im not sure about.. maybe some are in the pro's for this reason.. and maybe some are in the pro's to reduce cost by only buying R360 cores. im not sure.. but it seems strange to me that my core hitting 450 isnt good enough to meet spec of 412 for the manufacturer.. maybe they ran out of R350 cores.. (as 9800pros are in high demand) but had plenty of R360's sitting around.. needed to make more cards to meet demand.. chucked in the r360's and shiped out the cards to be sold. its a hard one to judge.. and luck of the draw on how good you core is.

IYIENACE

CircuitBreaker8 said:
My R350 will rape all of the R360's! Try doing 500 on the core on air

LOL w0rd! My 350 was doing 470+/390 on stock HSF, now it's being volt modded and WC. :beer:

All in fun btw. I may not get another mhz out of it after all the mods. Every card is different.
But the 350 does 0wnz j00!111 ;)

Quattro

What the hell is 0wnz j00!111??

It's that insanely irritating "h4x0r" speak isn't it?

WheaT

I view it as this also. Its cheaper to have one assembly line than two. Maybe they got everything shifted over to produce 360 cores. Who knows.