• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 390 VS GTA V framerate issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer

MY PC SPECS:

I have a FX 8350 OC to 4.5 with about 1.47v ish
8GB DDR3 1866 RAM
PowerColor R9 390 8gb

Hi, so all other games like Tomb Raider 2013, BF4, and couple of some minor games run full solid 60FPS with no issue or no drastic frame drops. I think the lowest i ever hit was probably like 54FPS with settings on high with the two games i just mentioned.

HOWEVER with GTA 5 its another story. It runs at 60 fps on certain parts of the map, but when i start driving fast just due over time i start getting low fps, it sometime dips low from 41 to 39 fps. My Gpu should be more the capable to run GTA 5. Prior to this 390 gpu, i had a 960gtx card, and that card ran GTA 5 pretty smooth with almost everything set on high (not ultra).

I moved from Ultra to High with my r9 390 card for GTA 5 and i am still getting some frame rate issues. I did an update for GTA 5 and i got the latest GPU driver Crimson-Edition-16.1 which came out this month of the 7th.

I thought my CPU was holding my GPU back, but from all the forms that i read, and the research that i did, my CPU shouldn't be the issue. I overclocked my CPU to be on the safe side. But still getting framerate issues only for GTA 5 so far. I would install more games to test out my GPU but so far i only tested it out BF4 and TombRaider with pretty much everything set on ultra, and i get no frame rate issues what so ever for those games.

Granted GTA 5 is a newer game between those two games that i just mentioned, but GTA 5 recommended GPU card is 660 GTX, and my card is wayyy more powerful then that. So i am just trying to understand what the issue is here, and if anyone else have faced this problem?

Attachments

• specs.PNG
    specs.PNG
    686.9 KB · Views: 1,124

ninjacore

GPU-z should be able to graph GPU usage/temp/bla bla bla. You'll want to run and log that while you're are playing the game and check the log afterward to see if there are any dips where the card is throttling or something. Same thing with the CPU. I only run Intel, but I know it's often a task with the AMD 8-cores to ensure they're running at their rated speeds, even more so when you OC them. I'm sure there are others, but something like Aida64 will track CPU core speed/load while you game.

I would think your system should be able to keep up better than what you're describing as long as the CPU and GPU are not throttling.

P.S. Is this your system or a friend's? I ask because of your other thread where you're asking about buying a 390 vs. 970?

OP
I

isogamer

HI, yes it is my friend's rig.. he used my account to post his issue.. also he indicated to me that he uses MSI afterburner and while he was gaming GTA V msi afterburner showed him he was running his CPU around 35 to 45% while he was just driving around in this game. Is that normal? Should be it at a constant 80 to 90%?

Thanks for the response.

ninjacore

I don't think Afterburner shows CPU usage? If you mean GPU usage, then yes, it should be at 100% (or very close to it). 35-45 definitely indicates the card is throttling and he'll want to cross-check that with temps. Is he overclocking the GPU?

To see if the CPU is throttling, I guess logging it while gaming is probably not ideal as different games will not load it up 100%. To test the CPU, I'd use whatever app is best for stressing AMD CPUs (Prime95? Aida?).

OP
I

isogamer

I don't think Afterburner shows CPU usage? If you mean GPU usage, then yes, it should be at 100% (or very close to it). 35-45 definitely indicates the card is throttling and he'll want to cross-check that with temps. Is he overclocking the GPU?

To see if the CPU is throttling, I guess logging it while gaming is probably not ideal as different games will not load it up 100%. To test the CPU, I'd use whatever app is best for stressing AMD CPUs (Prime95? Aida?).

Yes MSI burner does have the option where it shows CPU usage and it shows around 35-45%, as for GPU % he didn't tell me yet. But for temps he is getting around 55c to 60c for GPU temps.

ninjacore

Just makes sure he's checking these while gaming. That will require him to log them or check a recorded graph. Your pic from the OP, for example, is clearly out of game because the core speed is only 300Mhz ;)

55-60c doesn't really sound like load temperature for a 390. More likely, will be in the 70s.

40% usage on the CPU could be fine. Just depends on the game. He'll want to run an app that stressed all cores to 100% to determine if that component is throttling.

OP
I

isogamer

Just makes sure he's checking these while gaming. That will require him to log them or check a recorded graph. Your pic from the OP, for example, is clearly out of game because the core speed is only 300Mhz ;)

55-60c doesn't really sound like load temperature for a 390. More likely, will be in the 70s.

40% usage on the CPU could be fine. Just depends on the game. He'll want to run an app that stressed all cores to 100% to determine if that component is throttling.

HI THERE, sorry i am using my friends account, but this is me now and its my PC lol. One of the reason why my friend posted a 970 vs r9 390 post is because after seeing my card he was debating if he should get it or not.

Anyways the reason why the GPU is around 50 - 60c is because i increased the fan speed to like 56%, AMD cards typically run HOT. I will try to take a screen shot of GTA V while in windowed mode and show you that MSI is showing me it is running around 55ish % for CPU, and GPU ill find out soon Aida program you speak of.

I did run prime 95 on my CPU not to long ago, ran it about for 2hours and got no errors, since it is OC 4.5ghz with about 1.46ish volts.

Thanks for the help, ill post the info on the GPU% and see if i can post a pic while running GTA V.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Confused.. are there two people using iso's account??? We were just talking to him in another thread?

If two people are using it, I would make another account... this could get confusing.

OP
I

isogamer

Okay will do, ill delete this post if possible and post it in another account that i will create. Reason why i posted this thread is because it was a spur of a moment thing, since i ran into this GTA V issue, i just wanted to post a thread quick to find out what the issue is.

ninjacore

Just post in here with your new account (I suggest "isogamersimaginaryfriend" :rofl:) and we'll continue. No need to create another thread.

Yea, if you manually increased fan speed, that could lower it. Seems unnecessary, if you ask me. Card will automatically ramp up fan speed if temps get too high. Might as well let the bios on the card do that and avoid the noise of a manual 56% speed. 70c (which is a # I grabbed from reviews) is perfectly safe and won't cause throttling.

Just make sure your GPU load stays at 100% while gaming. That should tell you whether the card is throttling or not.

For CPU, run Aida and watch for the same on all cores.

OP
I

isogamer

"isogamersimaginaryfriend":

Lets say the GPU runs around 60% or lower than what would that mean? My Cpu holding back the GPU? How would i be able to fix that?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Do you have vsync enabled by chance or a frame limiter?

Please create the new account. It is not allowed to post under someone else's ID. :)

ninjacore

Lets say the GPU runs around 60% or lower than what would that mean? My Cpu holding back the GPU? How would i be able to fix that?

Unlikely that the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. If the GPU is running @ 60% (and it likely won't be 60% all the time, but rather in spikes, down from 100%) then it is throttling due to temperature or voltage issues.

If you aren't throttling, then it's likely a software issue (did you clean install the drivers?).

OP
I

isogamer

i did.. but ill try a fresh install again.. i am installing windows 10 so hopefully that fixes it..