• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 8500 and font "corruption"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berean

Registered
Has anyone noticed some font types look a little distorted when using the latest Radeon 8500 drivers in WinXP? I checked it using a radeon 8500 AND a AIW Radeon 8500DV on separate systems and sure enough I could see them. If you have a radeon 8500 with the latest drivers do a text search here on OC forum. When it takes you to the "Search in Progress" page, you'll see the fonts look a little ragged, assuming you have this problem as well. The font problem clears up if I roll back to the original drivers.

I know this has to be a driver issue because I noticed it on two separate systems using two different radeon cards, one 8500 Retail, the other a AIW 8500DV.

Anyone else notice this?

I tried it and my text is good, maybe its an XP thing because I have the latest 98se drivers loaded.

It probably is a WinXP driver issue, probably something to do with the cleartype fonts that's offered in WinXP.

I cant be the only one noticing this though.

Thats a common problem and its driver related, I have noticed this Font corruption with several of the drivers.

What I do is do a clean driver install, and if the fonts are corrupted I just try one that isn't. :burn:

Silversinksam said:
Thats a common problem and its driver related, I have noticed this Font corruption with several of the drivers.

What I do is do a clean driver install, and if the fonts are corrupted I just try one that isn't. :burn:

Did a fresh install of WinXP when I installed the driver. I know ATi is improving their driver support, but with all the video cards Ive owned over 5 years Ive NEVER seen this problem till now. With something as important as fonts letting the problem go this long is inexcusable.

I mean my "Times New Roman" is partially affected by this, only the most common font I use. No excuse ATI. FIX IT.

I dont get it, with all the hoopla on how ATI improved their driver support, NOBODY mentions this "small" issue with the font "distortions?" :eek:

Bah, Ill at least give ATI credit for one thing. My system has not crashed once, and not a single BSOD since I installed it. And everything works the way it's supposed to, notwitstanding the issues that are entirely the fault of Creative, not ATI. :burn:

ATI has gotten better than they had been, they used to spit out video cards faster than they would release drivers.

These days the drivers are coming out left and right.....some work a whole lot better than others, but at least we have a good choice.......In the past our choices were limited. ;)

Back