• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 8500 driver problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subconcept

I was running the 8500 drivers that were off my cd. I bought the card in january just to give you an idea of what drivers i may have been using. So my card was running fine, last 3d mark score on it i think was 7354, now im not picky about my scores but that was good enough for me and it played all my games great. Then i got Tony Hawk 3 and i could like see through floors and ramps. So i asked a guy who was also playing tony hawk and he said to upgrade to the latest beta drivers for my os (win2k). SO i did that problem solved was running fine, nice and quick. So then i guess a day later tony hawk started lagging for some reason after a fresh reboot. I moved the graphic settings down and tried again, stil lag. Now im wonder why the drivers were working fine and now they dont seem to be or maybe its not the drivers?

I did a 3d mark score after that they were like 2300 something

so the score was awefull!!! I noticed alot of the tests laged alot more then before obviously. What do you guys think could be casuing the prob, and what are the best and fastest, but stable win2k drivers for 8500.

Thanks

OP
subconcept

subconcept

Well i did update to the newest betas at rage 3d for win2k and day after that started getting lag, ill try the clean install thx

SaT985

Registered
you should probably disable AA, or set it to 2x performance. quality settings are super sampling, ie your desktop res is 1024x768 it will render 2048x1536 and resize. that may work for SOME older games but you should disable it with newer games. turn anisotropic to 16x, thats about a 10% perfromance loss but worth it. you can run Q3 UT @1024 16x anisotropic and 4x fsaa performance and still be around 40-60fps. Faster cpu=more fps.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
I've seen this happening because:

1: Overheating
2: Overclocking the card to far.
3: Faulty card. RMA it, if you haven't fiddled with any settings AT ALL then a RMA is in need.

M_N

OP
subconcept

subconcept

Well i uninstalled those newest rage 3d ones for win2k completely and then put on the newest official ati ones final release that were released on march 20th.

So with rage 3d, my 3dmark score was like 2300.

With ati ones 7999.

Never again will i use one of those rage 3d drivers.

MospeadasDark

Just to clarify.

Rage3D drivers have both betas(prolly alphas too) and Official drivers from ATi.

You probably downloaded the latest beta which is why your system became buggy.