• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 8500 OVERCLOCKING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

After destroying my G3 ti200 that did 240/550 with a soldering iron, I went out and picked up a retail Radeon 8500.. Well the card was $154.. great price.. Anyway.. this is my first ati card.. I've gotten the card up to 295/295 rock solid without and extra coolinng.. The memory on my card is 3.6ns (hynix) and gets as hot as the core.. wow I've surprised ati didn't spec the card with ramsink because they are on fire.. anyhow.. please post your Radeon 8500 OC results and if the card is modded or not and what modd you used.. thanks to all

P.S. Don't mess with a good thing.. I killed my G3 because I was greedy..

the main core speed has no real preformence against other cards.. the later geforce 2s can do about 300 or higher gpu but they still do not compare to the geforce 3 200 gpu or the geforce 3 ti200 175 (yeah like anyone runs them at that speed anyway LOL)

but ATI cards are great cards and from what i hear if ati could come out with some better bios/ or driver updates that card would kick massive ***..

8500 scores and OC'ing

You can check several forum members' 8500 info by going to the 3dmark team sticky at the top of the Video/Sound section, and checking out the new overclockers 3dmark Team webpage. Then you just look into the 8500 results and click on the peoples' scores.. that'll link you to their 3dmark compare url's. I think most or all of the members will have put clock speeds and cooling info in the description of each benchmark project.

I've got a OEM that I run at 285/285 (Cuz im not greedy :) )

It will do 300/300 no problem, interesting my memory is Hynix 3.6 like yours, but they just get slightly warm to the touch running 3dmark2001. I slapped on some ramsinks just for the heck of it

my Modded 8500

my retail 8500 will run 3dmark 2k1 without artifacts and smoothly up to 320/310 but i run it at 310/300. stock cooling and yes, the ram get's hot. i'm looking into making a w/b that'll catch the gpu and the ram on the front side and make another one for the back.

radeon 8500 oem (le) originally clocked at 250/500 equiped with 3.6ns hynix ram. it's now running at 304/612 with no additional cooling or ram sinks.

I also killed my GF3 TI550 by modding it.
My ATI runs at 285/285 3DScore of 9395.
Mine won't run stable at anything higher than this, don't know why. It is retail with the 128MB of ram on it.

Are ya'll uping your voltages to get your stable at the higher speeds?

300/300 stable as hell, will do 306/306 but not worth the exrta effort of the pencil trick. only use frag tape and ram sinks

oh BAH
i can only bench artifact free and lockup free at 295/308

arghhh, and i got a crystal orb and a super blower.

8500 OC

I'll get one soon enough and sell my GF2Ti. I've heard about a pencil trick for the 8500... Is this a vmod? Has any1 done it?

I've done the hardware mod found below, my card was lame and would not overclock at all, the core that is.. with out locking up, I switched my stock fan for the blue orb, which is a big POS, Warped like you wouldn't believe.. anyways I modded a Socket A cpu fan which works great.. but still had no luck without mod.. I have ram sinks on there as well..

Before the hardware mod I could achieve 275/290, after the mod I can get to 295/310 with no artifacts.. so I am now pleased..

http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/radeon8500-overclocking/

Back