• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radeon 8500 vmod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

to all of those who've done it:
-is the pencil mod too risky? Or is it safer than it looks?
-is the mod using resistors better?
-any other ways to accomplis it?

and did it really help a lot?
also, if you did the pencil mod, I'd like to know how you did it: I read through this article, and it seems a bit vague, it just says a few pencil strokes... more info on this?

Thanks!

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
vmod

I did the resistor method and it worked great for about a day.

1. You need to remove the plastic shim on the gpu core.
2. You need to stick a big heatsink on there or watercool.

After about a day, I started getting artifacts even when I clocked the gpu back down to stock speed. And it was the gpu, not the memory, that was the problem. So I removed the resistors and killed my card in the process.

My problem was with the cooling. I'd put a big heatsink on, but didn't remove the plastic casing... notice how the gpu has a circle hat's set about 1mm lower than the plastic shim around it? That needs to go so a hsf can sit flat on the core.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

ah, that sucks...
I have a crystal orb on it, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Was it hard to get the resistors in place? And is it hard to remove them (without killing the card, that is :))?

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I did the pencil mod, and it never seemed to work (no overclocking change, no artifacts out of nowhere). That is, until I got a mechanical pencil and started drawing. And now my 8500 is RIP.

If you do the pencil mod, be sure to use a mechanical pencil (less clay content I would guess), AND DRAW LIGHTLY!!! (Don't even have to see the graphite) Don't overdo it with your first pass or you may end up without your card like me :(

JigPu

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

well, what I've heard up to now isn't very encouraging... but still, a lot of people have done the vmod, as you can see in the "post here if you have a Radeon" thread...
anyone else?

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

most probably yes; Radeon LE should be the same card without DVI output, but the rest should be unchanged...
But if I don't see anyone who did it succesfuly, I won't mod it...

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
mirko_3 said:
ah, that sucks...
I have a crystal orb on it, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Was it hard to get the resistors in place? And is it hard to remove them (without killing the card, that is :))?

Its just simple soldering. Its not really that hard if you practice a bit on a blank pcb which you can get at rat shack. I was lazy and tried pulling off the resistors without waiting for the iron to heat up all the way... wound up removing the resitor and solder pad that it attached to. Been slowly building up the courage to try again on my new 8500 128mb, but decided not to until a really nice new tech card comes along, ya know in case I murder my 2nd 8500... at least then I'd have an excuse to get something new and shiny.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

hmmm... I still think I'll wait till I hear a succesful story from someone... maybe with the pencil mod, as I can't solder it (don't have the tools...)

the garynator

Chief folding_monkey
weird @$$ 8500LE

whats weird is that my LE Does have a dvi port. i know it is a LE though, it says it and the clock speeds are lower than the regular. they are not like any i have seen though, stock 250/400? it hits 300/500 with no trouble, but Im just woundering where in the hell it came from. i think that it was built by ati, but not 100%sure, and i got it from new egg.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

that thing i said about the DVI port is something I read once in an article and might be wrong...
as for clock speeds, they're no indication of LE or not, as there are many weird clock speeds out there; mine:
238/480 (or something similare, maybe 238/464???) and are right now at 290/580...
also, I read that LEs have 3.6 ns memory (and therefore can have better mem overclocks). Just check on one of your mem chips, at the end of the numbers there's something like "-4" or "-36" wich should be mem speed.
correct me if I'm wrong...

the garynator

Chief folding_monkey
I cant seem to get my ram to go much over 500, i think that it is because i do not have any ramsinks. im going to drop some on, but untill than i will stick with what i have

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
I have done the resistor mod and it worked without a hitch.
They are resilient cards and its hard to ruin them with the resistor mod. The Pencil mod is very unpredictable though due to the variation of the final voltage.
I recommend the resistor mod by a long shot.

I'd also like to mention that after I removed the stock Heatsink the core was the same height as the plastic edge.
As for overclocking there is a big difference, I have yet to fully test it but my Core (for a brief test) rose over 50Mhz higher than before and my memory did about 40Mhz more (80Mhz DDR) so thats from 290Mhz to 340Mhz Core, and 600Mhz to 680Mhz memory.

I've yet to fully test it yet to these figures may rise or fall.
I’d PM SSS for any further queries, he persuaded me to use the Resistor Mod!

M_N

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

I would too prefer the resistor mod, and I'll do that if I can somehow find a soldering iron...
anyway, how is it that you can measure the voltage after the mod? do you need to buy something or is there a sensor?
also, there's no temp sensor on the radeon, is there?

Ghost68

Definitely do the resistor mod a soldering iron will cost you about $7.50 the resistors will run you about a $1 solder will run you about $1.50 and you can get wire form pretty much anywhere

Look at it this way its a $100 card(avg price) now theres a saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" that $10.00 could verry well save you $100...
Now what ever you do dont do the pencil trick the chance of failure is so high its not even funny.... especially if you dont have the tools(or skills to use the tools) to check the voltage...

Now if you are seriously going to do the mod practice soldering on something with small surface mount components your best bet find an old broken cellphone youll find loads of tiny resistors and soldering pads to practice on... those resistors are a b****cause they are so small and some of the soldering pads are really tiny too...

GOOD LUCK and let us know how it goes

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

hmm... I think I will actually... but unfortunately not anytime soon... at least a couple weeks before I have time;
anyway, I'll post a new thread when I do it (of course, If the video card doesn't blow up, in which case I don't think I'll be able to post...anyway...:D
If you guys have any more tips, just post them!

Ghost68

glad to hear you decided to solder... and i almost forgot when it comes down to it take your time dont rush it set aside a few hours for the project the last thing you need is a distraction while soldering as it may cost you your card... it may only take a few min but its good to have extra time just in case...

now to add something else:
Make sure you have the cash to replace the card before you start. Tell yourself that you need a better card and if this doesnt work im going to have to buy a better card anyways
that way if something goes wrong during the vmod you will feel way better about it...

oh and also remember you dont have to vmod the card you allready have a pretty good overclock...
DONT GET GREEDY thats what kills components....

Ghost68

well thats kinda why... my first 8500 died a slow death and i tried to resurect it via a volt mod no luck i killed it(i think it was allready dead tho) then i got my 2nd 8500 it did 315/300 stock so i didnt even try to vmod it i just ran into some unexpected cash and decided to get the 9700 kinda a a last second thing im glad i did tho i gave my 8500 to my mom cause she plays morrowind alot and her geforce2 mx400 wasnt cutting it...

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
mirko_3 said:
I would too prefer the resistor mod, and I'll do that if I can somehow find a soldering iron...
anyway, how is it that you can measure the voltage after the mod? do you need to buy something or is there a sensor?
also, there's no temp sensor on the radeon, is there?

You can use a Multimeter to read the voltage on the Pencil Mod.
When you do the Resistor Mod there is no need to, as the voltage is set.

There is no temperature sensor on the 8500, (except for one Gigabyte version I think it was). The RAM doesn't get very hot so any sort of Ramsinks will do, the Core does however put out quite a bit of heat, a big Heatsink will be enough to cool it, or Watercooling for the quieter approach.

If your worried about the temperature simply touch the Heatsink, if it feels to warm to touch its usually running to hot. Touch your CPU heatsink for comparison.

M_N