• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9000 and overclocked AGP limitation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Hilts

I've got a Celeron 800 that I've been running at 1066MHz for a while on an old Asus P3B-F. I recently swapped the Voodoo3 2000 for a Radeon 9000 and have run into some stability issues.

After reducing the cpu clock speed to the default, the systems has become stable again. Since the only thing that I've changed is the video card, the Radeon is most certainly the source of the problem. Because this board does not support anything lower than a 2/3 AGP:FSB ratio, the AGP bus is at 89MHz when the cpu is overclocked (FSB is at 133MHz when it's overclocked).

I've had other cards (like the Voodoo3 and a 32MB DDR Radeon) handle the 89MHz AGP bus without a problem, but I suppose the Radeon 9000 doesn't like it. Anyway, does anyone know of any way on how I can help get the Radeon 9000 to handle the overclock a bit better?

Lancelot

It might be your BX-board and/or PSU aren't able to supply the amps needed by such a new videocard. These new cards just draw a ton of amps on the 3.3V line of these older systems. I have an issue since I slapped a GF4-MX460 on my BX-board (same CPU and basic setup as yours) where things are rock solid but sometimes the system doesn't post, it just beeps and I have to hit the powerswich again, after which it post's and boots just fine! People tell me it's a power-issue so if you have like a 235W PSU and can try a 300 or 350W PSU your stability problems might be solved.

OP
Captain Hilts

Captain Hilts

Thanks for the post. Have you tried running new new video card in that system with the default FSB to see if the problems stop when you do that?

OP
Captain Hilts

Captain Hilts

Hmm, I don't have any problems with it at the default speed, so it could very well be the overclocked agp that is causing problems for the card.