• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator or Water tower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
i thik the tower will be better, more fun to have
anyone agains them?
yes i know i have to make sure my pump can get the water to the hight of the tower...
i think that is the only draw back for that kind of setup.. you need a larger pump

The cooling tower cools better than any radiator I am aware of. Not being a closed system, you need to be sure the water does not start to grow things may produce acids that can eat up your water block. Also it’s a PITA keeping it full of water and then there is the noise. I am waiting with baited breath for the first post from a cooling tower owner that fried a CPU because the tower ran dry. Portability is compromised although with four valves and two couplers, it’s not too difficult.

Despite the disadvantages mentioned above, I am very pleased with the cooling tower. It’s by far the best system to deal with Central Kalifornia’s hot summer and the only way I was able to cool down two 172 watt pelts. I use water filtered by a silver impregnated ceramic element to insure there are no living organisms in the system. A filtered air intake and screened exhaust insure that the levels of particulate matter introduced to the system are minimal. Putting a shower puff or sponge at the water level can significantly reduce the noise level. I used a piece of 1/2 “ sponge that one of my Birds came in.

Radiators are compact, portable and closed systems. For the most part they are maintenance free. They can be quiet although with the 85F ambient temps in my home right now, the fans would be roaring. A sponge muted cooling tower is much quieter for my current conditions. The tower will remain in use until the weather cools down in fall.

Things to keep in mind about the water tower:
It's a lot of performance but it will rely on humidity/put out humidity (I come from Virginia, land of the humid), second, it's larger, noiser, and less transportable than a radiator. I wouldn't recommend it if you move your system around a lot (I tend to move mine around once a week for various reasons, a tower wouldn't suit me very well.)

Basically if you have a system that isn't going anywhere and the constant water-fall (which is rather soothing, but is noise none the less) doesn't interfere with anything - sure. But if you need a smaller, more transportable system- go with the radiator.

Stolid

Cooling towers are fine, but I assume they drastically increase humidity in the room. This isn't good, cuz it'll make you feel hotter :p It's also not good, cuz if you bring a nice cold drink into your room, you'll need to bring back moses from the dead and part all that water off your desk ;) And then there's the refilling aspect of it all. I personally would go for a radiator, cuz there's no way I'm putting a cooling tower in my room, for the reasons listed above, and cuz I wouldn't be able to easily take my system to a LAN. I like the radiator because it means I can build something to stick underneath my case, and screw to the bottom(I wouldn't ever put the resevoir/radiator in the case, I'm far too afraid). That way, it's all one unit and it looks coo :)

Unless you are pumping a lot (read pelts) of heat, they don't increase humidity that much. Mine actually puts out cooler air than it takes in unless I am running pelts. If you have an air conditioned home, you could probably use a little humidity. We use an old fashioned swamp cooler so the humidity is high in our home during the summer. Despite this, the cooling tower works very well.

Thanx for all the input...
I have to admit i dont hvae to deal with the heat as much as some of you do, mainly our cousins to the south, you guys in california. I live in Vancouver BC canada. its not even 30C outside right now.....
MY new digital probe i just got :) says it only 28C

This is is what i am going to do, go get my tower tomorow, or a radiator... Will check them both out, tower will be cheaper.... But i am looking at the tower right now....
I want cool temp (tower wins) and the look cool factor , gona try to get a clear tube(tower wiuns) , blue water.
the bacteria problem (radiator wins), a little bleach should take care of that.

I will know what to get for sure when i go to buy tomorrow....
with all the great data you guys have given me, when i go look at the both, then i will know what i need..

Thanx
oh, i just got a 400 GPH pump, may be a little overkill if i dont have to lift water 4 feet for a tower... but i can change the speed...
i'll let you all know how it goes

Ouch man, bleach in a cooling tower doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Keep in mind, the cooling tower is an evaporative cooling effort, meaning it evaporates the coolant into the air. Mmmm, bleach gas. Just a little warning.

i wouldn't be bothered about organisms in the water, especially if you have a copper waterbloc. believe me the acids hypothetically produced , will not damage your copper bloc. try put some HCL on copper and see for yourself what it does. Now imagine the very very small concentration of acid that could build up in your system, and which you can flush out from time to time , by changing the water ... te risk is minimal.

So if you dont mind the noise, and the size of the tower, then go for it.

ok more good ideas, thanx....
ok bleach may be bad...
so i may have to put some of the stuff they put on pools to keep all the bad guys away, and it should be minimal, as this is inside... dont want my water all green....

I will also have water wetter in the mix and some dye that reacts to light, they should also fight the bad things that can grow in the water.. and added bleach of something like that would only be IF I HAD TO, like if any green does start to build up

What tower is recomended to get? If I do-it-my-slef What set up should I fallow? Thanks for you help!

--- Jeff

Read Steve Pignato's article. You will find a link to it on the front page.

OK, I have looked through way to many articles... What is the title of his article? A link would be even better = ) Thank you for your time and help!

--- Jeff

your water tower..
i looked at it then said, hey i could build one, and that is what i am doing,
just got all the pipes today,

now i got a pump, pipes, tomorrow drill the waterblock
fit tubes for the waterblock and let the thing run on its own for a day or so....

SkiDog (Jun 01, 2001 07:58 p.m.):
OK, I have looked through way to many articles... What is the title of his article? A link would be even better = ) Thank you for your time and help!

--- Jeff
Right at the top of the page: :)

"April Winners: Steve Pignato won First Prize of $100 for increasing PVC sales at Home Depot"

Jay,

You are in for one fun weekend!

once fun weekend :) just hope i dont kill anything
oh i forgot to mention that i also bought a digital thermometer so
i can now, finaly, trust the temps i get.....

I would say that the termistats on the motherboard are withen 2C max
most of the time they are about 1C off... but the thermal diode in my celeron is actually reporting the correct temp most of the time....
but like i said, i know the real temps now :)
Gorbs suck .5C/W
lets see what they can do with water pumping through them :)
then once i get tha oing, water block should show up... then even cooler temps :)

iznogoud (Jun 01, 2001 02:53 a.m.):
i wouldn't be bothered about organisms in the water, especially if you have a copper waterbloc. believe me the acids hypothetically produced , will not damage your copper bloc. try put some HCL on copper and see for yourself what it does. Now imagine the very very small concentration of acid that could build up in your system, and which you can flush out from time to time , by changing the water ... te risk is minimal.

So if you dont mind the noise, and the size of the tower, then go for it.

Try putting some HNO3 and watch it eat away at its hearts content. HCl is essentially unreactive to copper, but there are lots of other acids.

Back