• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator under case???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pud

Hello all.
Ok I'm ready to go for water. With one problem I've been doing too much reading and research. I want to build it my self and I want to keep the case as less cluttered as possible. So I was thinking I want to raise the feet of the case up a couple of inches and put the rad. under the case with a 120 fan on the floor of the case.
What Do You Guys Think? Any imput would be really appreciated.

It's been done and quite well I might add. I see a dust magnet though.

That'll work just fine, I'd suggest a dust filter though. If the radiator starts getting all dusty, it won't work as well and you'll have to clean it out(compressed air would do fine).

Spewn (Jun 16, 2001 05:30 p.m.):
That'll work just fine, I'd suggest a dust filter though. If the radiator starts getting all dusty, it won't work as well and you'll have to clean it out(compressed air would do fine).

yep. I believe it was Thelemac who had this problem, not too sure though, but his radiator was becoming a very nice dust filter.

yeah dust filter would be good just make sure it doesn't kill airflow. also you might want to cut some holes in the bottom of your case or something--space out the fans. so you dont contrict airflow.

Thats right, If you restrict the airflow your temps will go up. I have yet to mount my radiator and pump in the case because of this. When I had my tec installed when I would keep the radiator in the case it would raise the temps quit a bit! So I mounted the Rad and pump under the desk. Althoug I'm thinking of mounting it all in the case now just got to get the ambition to do it. Trying to figure out the best way to mount it. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to mount the radiator on the side of the case with two fans sucking air out thru the radiator. Cause I only have a mid tower (which I like and want to keep) and that radiator is 12" x 5" x 3\4" big. So forget mounting on top or bottom front. I'm thinking of having it mounted to the side of the case and ducting the air from one of the case fans in the front of the case to the radiator and then having two more fans sucking thru the radiator to help suck it thru. That way no matter what I'm still gettin fresh air thru the radiator instead of sucking the already hot air inside the case thru it.

This is somewhat similar to what I have done with mine...except I put mine in my case. I had to have it with the open ends going down, cause that's the only way it would fit. I decided to have it suck air through the bottom cause I wanted it to have some fresh air. I've been working on a base for it (taking a while due to me working 70 hours a week and spending the rest of the time here...)

I currently have it up on "blocks" (some programming books...nice and big :)) as a temporary solution. Works fairly well...but it isn't the most sturdy or portable (which is what this computer is designed for)

PS As I got a bit busy here at Little Caesars I'm coming back to this post after about a half hour, so I hope it still makes sense :)

Thanks for all the info. I think maybe I'll have to skirt the bottom of the case with some type of filter material or something like that, to keep the dust out.
I might even try doing like Telemac did.

Pud

Back