• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radiators at dangerden?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cougar522

im thinking of going with a water setup from danger den. I will be using the maze 2 or the 3 when it comes out. My question is what radiator should i go with. The extreme looks way over priced and i dont want to pay for a name brand. Out of all the radiators there what would get me the best performance? Also wich one would give me the best bang for the buck? i see the heater core at DD is 35$ is this the way to go? heck for 35 you could get almost 2 for the price of one extreme. anyway thanks for your help again. o ya im running an amd 1900 processor, 512 2100 ddr ram, G3 Ti500, K7N420 Nforce motherboard, sound blaseter live, and a us robotics modem. Thanks again

Cougar522

Crappy

I would say the heater core would be the best if you have the room for it.

I have a Ford F-250 pickup heater core which is the same as the DD heater core. Got it at AutoZone for $24.

Wish I could use in in my setup now, had to get a Black Ice Xtreme so it would fit in my PC-60 without hacking it up

tft

Go to a local junkyard, or even better, a place that specializes in radiator, and heater core replacement, and services. You can generally get a heater core or radiator for around $10 at one of these places. You just have to clean it up and solder the barbs on yourself.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
I'm using one of those heater cores from Danger Den and I have yet to push it to it's capacity even with the setup in my signature. Paired up with shrouds and push-pull low velocity 120mm fans, it is fantastic.

Hoot

OP
Cougar522

Cougar522

alright ill go with the heater core from DD. I have another question though would 2 of those heater cores cool better than one? i think they would but not enough to justify the extra cash.

DodgeViper

Cougar522, check out this thread, click for some great reading and I believe there is a photo of my rig. I used a Chevy Chevette heater core which is the same unit the DD sells. It's configure in a push/pull fan setup that Hoot is speaking about. You can get this heater core at Checker Auto, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. for $22.00-$27.00 dollars.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Dodge Viper is right. They are one in the same, except if you get one from an auto parts store, you will also have to purchase your brass barbs, turn one down using a lathe, or drill press and file and then solder them in. Some people have had good luck just gluing them in with something like JBWeld or Marine Epoxy. The question you have to answer is whether that touch labor and parts are worth the additional $10.00 it would cost to have Danger Den do it.

You certainly do not need to use two of them. As I said, one is more than enough for great cooling, when you use the dual 120mm fans and shrouds.

Hoot

OP
Cougar522

Cougar522

thanks ill check it out that article helped alot. when you say push/pull config do u mean a 120mm fan on each side of the heatercore with one blowing through and the other sucking through the same way as the other is blowing?

<- fan |radiator| <-fan
this what ya mean? crude pic but u get what i mean ^^^

Cougar522

DodgeViper

Yes your crude drawing is correct. Hoot is correct you will need to resolder new barbs, but you will also save in shipping as well. If you do a search on my screen name you will find a page on how I built my shroud and used a drill press to turn the 3/8 thread 1/2 barbs down to fit the H/C.

OP
Cougar522

Cougar522

ok first thanks for everything. Second i think i just get the heatercore from DD because i dont have access to the tools needed and the cost of the barbs. Might as well i guess cause im paying shipping for everything else and this way it will all come at once. Thanks I really appreciate it. o and after reading one of hoots post on that link i will go with the eheim 158 gph pump.

Cougar522