• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RadioShack Thermal Compound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lethal

Yeah, I just bought this crappy RadioChack heatsink compound and I was wondering if it was ok to use on my processor. I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff as like Alumina but I'm new at this and wanted to make sure.

-Here's some specage.-

Silicon-Base
Contains Polysiloxane and Zinc Oxide

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
personally i would never use it on anything if i can get my hands on artic silver or alumina. TO answer your question though, yes could put it on your proc but with one of the above mentioned greases( i use AS3 for cpus not) you will notice a significant difference in temps. So people have dropped 5 C just by switching to artic silver or alumina.

rivercom9

Its ok if you just need something to put in between. Besides, it pretty cheap so you wouldnt be out much if you only used it once.

OP
L

Lethal

Thanks man. I would definately use AS or AL if I can get it. But my credit card rights are on hiatus and I can't find any store near me that sells it. For now I'll have to settle for this. Thanks again.

OP
L

Lethal

Another quick question(s)

When I'm applying this stuff should I keep my processor in the motherboard? Or should I take it out? Or take out the whole mobo? And once I get the heatsink on should I keep the board flat or can i set it back up again? Is there some kind of waiting period? The AS website doesn't mention anything like this.

NASsoccer

Re: Another quick question(s)

Lethal said:
When I'm applying this stuff should I keep my processor in the motherboard? Or should I take it out? Or take out the whole mobo? And once I get the heatsink on should I keep the board flat or can i set it back up again? Is there some kind of waiting period? The AS website doesn't mention anything like this.

i dont put the proc in the mobo first and then i apply but that is my method. i already have the mobo in the case and then i put the hsf fan on.

MiseryQ

Is that the one in the plastic tube?!?... If so the answer is NO!!!
That stuff raised my temps 3f over the old RS stuff...

Mhypertext

i love the radio shack thermal paste i am running at 35c at load on my cpu

with a lapped swifttech mcx462a

NASsoccer

Lethal said:
Should I lay the mobo flat?

as i stated above, my method is to screw the mobo in the case and leave it i then get a workspace and apply the compund to the proc and then i put it in the mobo and attach the HSF.

NASsoccer

Mhypertext said:
i love the radio shack thermal paste i am running at 35c at load on my cpu

with a lapped swifttech mcx462a

what proc are you using may i ask?? i am at 1.8 using AS3 with a non lapped mcx462a and i run at 33c.

Radman

Registered
Lethal-yeah,flat. Probably one of the most dangerous parts of the whole install is securing the heatsink-fan on the cpu-especially if it's like my cak-38, with the screwdriver special for a retainer. I have a screwdriver that fits mine perfectly and its still nerve racking as hell. I like the retainers I,ve seen that use all six tabs and screw tight, have'nt figured out how to retrofit the Global, but it's in the plans. Good luck!

OP
L

Lethal

ok thanks guys.

I'mn running a 1600+ XP
shuttle ak31 mobo
256 crappy generic ram
voodoo 4 4500 (don't laugh)

i had the athlon o/c to about 1.6 ghz which would make it about an Athlon 1900+ but my temps were getting close to 47- 48 C so I needed to get some thermal compound