• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raffle Anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I've heard that sometimes people are motivated if they think they might win something. So why not discuss some ideas for the next raffle?

Sir-Epix

Well I think that is a good idea...do we have the funded to give away a complete system, or maybe a premade small diskless cluster. Just my two cents

{PMS}fishy

About 200 beans. Ill keep my eye out for refurbs. I say we snatch up tons of stuff. Say 5 or 10 prizes. Heck I got an ECS MB for $29

Morpheus

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior
I like the idea Fishy... several smaller prizes... have a ongoing raffle for a bit...

Maybe we could develop a "pool" of similar value items and let the raffle winner pick their prize from what's left of the pool....

Cy

That idea is fine with me. Something to keep interest going while providing a nice little item to help with production. :)

Cy

{PMS}fishy

Help us come up with ideas. Contest raffle what ever you want. Ideas for prizes too.

lonewolf1983

prize ideas:

Asus a7n266 VM mobo (add ram,cpu and hdd for an instant cruncher), they are dirt cheap over here, id expect so over there too.
Possibly some time on TC's cluster crunching for winner/s for a little while.

{PMS}fishy

We could raffle off a certian number of WUs. We would have to get a bunch of people together from here and all crunch for the person for a day or so, or just sharkey, hallen, and greg.

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
I like the idea of the christmas banner :D

A complete system (without monitor) seems a good idea.

If you can snatch a Tbred A dirty cheap, a good cheap mobo and some quality (and low prize) mobo you can easily shoot for less than $150.....throw in a cheap case ($30) and PCI video card ($10).....that way if the winner wants a new system he'll have the core elements to work with. He can easily drop his currenty HD and vidcard and don't miss any off the stufff he won.

KenCo

Well.... I don't want to rain on the banner parade. But I don't think it's the right idea for a team wide contest. Not all of us are artistically gifted or for that matter even have the software to make a decent banner.

I think it would be great for those who excel at that sort of thing to maybe compete for the honor of having their design used.

OP
TC

TC

Senior Seti Addict
KenCo said:
Well.... I don't want to rain on the banner parade. But I don't think it's the right idea for a team wide contest. Not all of us are artistically gifted or for that matter even have the software to make a decent banner.

I think it would be great for those who excel at that sort of thing to maybe compete for the honor of having their design used.
Good point. I'll try to find time this weekend to play with some prices and see what a system might cost. I could donate an enlight case - nothing special but could help reach the goal.

KenCo

How about a contest for finding the best web link? There could be more than one catagory such as: most entertaining, most interesting, most useful, etc. It's something everyone can do and it might liven up the forum and perhaps even get some silent members out there involved.

KenCo

Of course the link should pertain to Overclocking or SETI in some way. And if making actual link is in violation of forum policy the website could just be listed without a link. Copying and pasting is easy enough. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Cuper

I am in for a raffle!!! I don't know many good sites but would look, I like the idea for a computer giveaway and might be able to donate something?? I just don't know if there is enough traffic going around the forum to get enough people??

Just shoot

If we are talking a plain cruncher I have a 2 or 3 gig hard drive laying around I could donate. Nothing special ata33 and a pci video card cirrus logic I believe 4 mb. LMK

Greg M

I heard a rumor that said you guys were going to raffle off one of those new 52.4 teraflop Cray computers.

At a buck per ticket, we only need to sell about 100 million of them to break even.
;)