• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 stripe size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT

Registered
What stripe size should I pick when RAIDing 2 7200RPM 40gb hard drives.

Can pick from 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k, and 64k

Thanks

Enigma422

It depends on what file system you are using. I havent quite optimized my system for NTFS yet, so if you are going to use NTFS, then I would ask somebody else. On the other hand, if you are going to use FAT32, then I would suggest a 16KB stripe size and 16KB cluster size for your file allocations.

LimeyGreg

I just got done reading Adrian Rojack's RAID review and 64K seem to be the worst. It looks like 16k is probably about the best compromise. I haven't benched my current raid at 16k yet but when it was 64k the drive index came out at 20k for the onboard Highpoint Raid - which is way below my original Raid using a PCI promise card, that gave me a DI of 31k so I am quite disapointed in my new Soyo P4S board's RAID performance. I tried to use my old Promise PCI raid but I can't get the Soyo to load it's bios :mad:

{PMS}fishy

16k is the way to go. It optimizes the drives the best and gets the most out of a RAID set-up. I would have to say that 95% of the people with RAID use 16k stripes.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
very simular question to the AGE old question of LATENCY vs BANDWIDTH (Small Cluster vs Large Cluster)