• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 0 what recomendations of drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JamesMore

I was looking to setup a game/work system, and do a raid 0 setup. I was trying to see what people recommend for drives.

I don't think I can go with SSD or raptors due to the current cost. I have a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS for my storage. so should not need that much space for the OS and games.

Any ideas ?

ibitato

I was looking to setup a game/work system, and do a raid 0 setup. I was trying to see what people recommend for drives.

I don't think I can go with SSD or raptors due to the current cost. I have a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS for my storage. so should not need that much space for the OS and games.

Any ideas ?

get 2 HDDS

any 7200 rpm 16 oe 32bit cache from WD, or Samsung, Hitachi would do. Look for the lowest access time and get 2 equal ones (if yo can, if not , as long the specs are pretty much the same yall be fine)

a RAID0 with 2x500GB HDDs its a 1TB of storage......

Now, be prepared to run daily backups; RAID 0 on the mobo chip it's easy to break; any BSOD ot hang can produce the raid to go unstable and you will loose all your data.

OP
J

JamesMore

Thanks for the ideas I found Tomhardware has a list of drive speeds so might start there and then use google to confirm. I did not know with raid 0 that you get to use both drives as storage. I guess I am use to raid1.

I was thinking if that's the case maybe to stay small 250gig = 500gig usable, I dont want to go too big other wise I will start to dump lots of crap on there and then not have enough space to back up on to. I have the 1 gig storage drive so I can backup there each night and then do a weekly backup to an external drive.

Plus dont want to spend too much as next year if SSD come down I could move to that media.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Ideally you'd want to go with 500Gig (Single Platter) drive for speed reasons. Though a personal fav is the 640Gig WD Black drives.

Going to smaller 250Gig drives, while you might not be worried about space at that point you might as well pick up a single 500Gig single platter drive and get nearly the same performance.

OP
J

JamesMore

Yer I did some searching and the 250gig drives are some times much more than the bigger drives (I remember getting a 20 gig disk and thinking I would never fill it so might go with bigger.)

I have been looking at the WD Caviar Black 640 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD6401AALS ) as well deathman20 :) not sure if that's the same model you referenced.

What single Plater 500gig drive do you recommend.

OP
J

JamesMore

both of you recommend a single platter but I through the blacks had 2/3 platters ? ,

Just the size + cost for the raptors is very off putting. So will stay with normal disks.

OP
J

JamesMore

Not sure if they have changed in later models but looking at the spec sheet it does show multiple platters for each drive

platters.jpg

http://products.wdc.com/library/specsheet/eng/2879-701276.pdf

OP
J

JamesMore

Yep I was right

WD5001AALS-00L3B2 single plater
WD5001AALS-00L3B

So its going to be pretty hard to find a WD5001AALS-00L3B2