• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 1 array marked as Failed after formatting main ssd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dupp

So I've formatted my main os drive (disk 0), I had two hard drives (disks 1&2) set in Raid 1 for storage (mirrored them in windows)

Now my drives are marked as failed https://gyazo.com/b6e1b3f170c2eb057c2cbd18fc068282
I did unlinked them in disk management, after that I tried to create a new volume with one of the disks (without formatting) to see If I could retrieve my files ..

Seems like the volume is inaccessible https://gyazo.com/fd632e8d8fa4498123a76bb5e0e88181
I've done a couple researches and all I could find is free to download shady programs asking for money to retrieve files.

I know my files aren't lost and its not a big problem but I don't wanna risk losing my files.
Pretty sure there's an easy and safe way to retrieve my stuff, anyone knows?
Thanks

If you remove a RAID drive from a RAID volume I do not think it can be read or detected by Windows unless you first remove the RAID metadata. And as far as I know, there is no nondestructive way of removing metadata.

Edit: I also do not think you can recreate the RAID volume in a nondestructive way once it has been disabled. I believe setting up RAID again will delete all data on the drive, even if it was previously in RAID.

Last edited:
You could try booting a Linux CD/USB to see if it can mount the drive. Linux is often more tolerant of formatting deviations. With Linux S/W raid the individual volumes of a RAID 1 can be treated as regular disks (IIRC.)

You should also look at procedures for dealing with a failed drive. In that case you would be left with one operating drive which has all of your files and the RAID software should have some way to let you get it. Otherwise what's the point of having two drives mirrored?

Good luck!

I ended up loading a program and managed to get back my photos atleast, thanks for trying to help.
How can I keep my windows raid array if I reformat my main os drive tho?
Thanks.

Back