• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLOBBY

I have a quick question. I looked around a little bit and didn't find anything regarding my specific question.

Lets say I have a raid 1 setup with 2 drives. If multiple people are seeking data, not writing, will it split the load to both drives? Or will it strictly keep the load(seeking) on one drive?

I know it mirrors the other, just curious for strictly reading tasks if it would split the load.

I think it will read the data from both drives effectively giving you near double the performance of a single drive during reads. But wiki has a more complicated answer so now I'm not so sure.

Mirrored set without parity. Provides fault tolerance from disk errors and single disk failure. Increased read performance occurs when using a multi-threaded operating system that supports split seeks, very small performance reduction when writing. Array continues to operate so long as at least one drive is functioning.

I'm not sure which OS's support split seeks or how to tell if yours does or does not.

It depends upon the controller too. If the controller can do split reads it's effectively a RAID0 for reads and slightly slower or the same as a single drive for writes.

Back