• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 2 hdd's with ssd cashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So the games of my steam library won't be cached? I thought it would be the easy way to get both the storage capacity of a hdd with the load times of an ssd

Fyi the drives are 8 years old, seagate barracuda green 5400rpms. No dead sectors yet. Bought them for 50 each new before the factories were flooded

I don't think that caching the drives will help your games. You could instead move your games from the very slow 5400 rpm drives to the SSD while you play them then move them back when you are done.

It will cache the most frequently used items...but omce its full, the oldest/least used data goes away. So if younplay a few games, they can be flushed out of cache.

Doesn't the current implementation of Intel Optane technology essentially amount to providing a fast cache environment for spinner storage? Sorry if this is off the track of the thread. The idea just popped into my head.

Its remarkably similar indeed. Optane devices are a lot faster however. I believe they are really optimized for the small file size for windows, etc...

My understanding also is that the long term vision for Optane is that it will serve both as system RAM and system storage, that is combine those two functions into one very fast technology. Is this correct?

I'm not sure about the long term goal but Optane only works with certain chipsets and CPU's. It is presently sold as a HDD caching and is slower than SSD. It is only worth buying if you have the newest chipset/CPU and the oldest drive technology. A tough sell in my book.

So buy a cheap M.2 that performs around 1000 mb/s writes.

- - - Updated - - -
lol that doesent exist. There are no cheap M.2 drives.

That's probably because there are no 42mm pci-e ssd's on the market, I just checked. And with sata interface I won't get better speeds than my 850evo. Not really worth it

Back