• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 5 cases..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Revelation

Registered
Not sure if this has been asked before, if so, my apologies.

I plan on setting up a RAID 5 at my home, and was curious if any of you here are running it, and if so, what case are you using to store all of the drives? I'd like to keep the cost down a bit, because frankly it doesn't matter that much to me.

Any info is appreciated.

mugambo

Are you asking about external drive cabinets? If so, I am not using any external drive cabinets for my personal stuff. All of the external drive cabinets which I have used have either been Compaq or HP. Yes, in general these were used for SCSI devices configured RAID 5.

What are you using for a controller?

Dave

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I got a YY server cube. It has bays to hold up to 8 3.5" drives and 6 additional 5 1/4" bays.

Was plenty enough to hold the 6 SCSI drives I've got but space is at a mimimum and it was very cramped after the cables went in (they're rounded so they bind easily). Cooling has to be fixed for this case as well, stock is horrible and wouldn't recommend it for any dual system without modification first.

External units can be found on eBay for pretty good prices most of the time. Plenty of companies dump Compaq and HP cabinets (as mugambo stated) all the time at pretty low prices.

OP
The Revelation

The Revelation

Registered
I was originally planning on using an external case, but the more I think about it, I may just dump it in with the rest of my parts. I guess I'll have to find a nice full tower and mod the drive cage... and add about 10 fans :p

Thanks for the info guys.