• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 5 Migrating - Crashed. Recovery assitance needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HedgeHocker

Registered
Anything that can be done when your power goes out and crashes your RAID 5while it was Migrating (adding) two disks?

I get the "Missing Operating System" notice on booting.

The boot utility for the NVIDIA raid says it's still in Migrating status and I have no options there really except delete or clear the MBR.

I will be buying a poer backup TODAY because of this. MY grandfather was over getting the snow blower from the garage and he always flips all of the breakers in the box to find the one he needs even though I told him that isn't how it's done for Jesus sakes. I'd laugh but I'm numb from the shock.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
It should be able to pick back up where it left off. Are you seeing disk activity?

OP
HedgeHocker

HedgeHocker

Registered
No I don't think so. Not at the "Missing operating system" notice, no. No flashing red indicating light.

MBR corrupt maybe and nothign to do with the RAID status?

Microsoft says:

"This issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:
The basic input/output system (BIOS) does not detect the hard disk.
The hard disk is damaged.
Sector 0 of the physical hard disk drive has an incorrect or malformed master boot record (MBR).

Note Some third-party programs or disk corruption can damage an MBR.
An incompatible partition is marked as Active.
A partition that contains the MBR is no longer active."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321626

Should I begin with scanning the disks for errors? Kinda hard to do while they are half migrated and the rest doesnt show up. I have used this "Hirens boot utilities" disk before and found some usefull programs in it. The problem is I don't know the programs on the disk too well. I did try Windows 7 stratup recovery and it said it could not fix the error it did find. I don't have that code as I am writing this but I'll post it in a little bit.

Last edited:

Automata

It didn't finish the copy, therefore your data is scrambled across the drives. I have no experience with onboard RAID (just actual RAID cards) and I won't be of much help to you.

Can you get in the RAID BIOS configuration utility? There should be some way to resume the transfer.

OP
HedgeHocker

HedgeHocker

Registered
Roger that. Thanks Thideras.

Here's what the boot options say for the controller though...

- Array List -

Boot - chercked
Status - Migrate
Vendor - NVIDIA
Array - RAID5
Size - 3.63T

[Ctrl-X] Exit [up/down] Select Set Bootable [N] New Array (not selectable) [ENTER] Detail

When I hit [ENTER] for Details

Array 1: NVIDIA RAID5 3.63T

- Array Detail -

RAID Mode: RAID5
Stripe Width: 4
Stripe Block: 64K

Port Index Disk Model Capacity
____ _____ ____________________ ________
0.0 0 WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 931.51GB
0.3 1 WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0 931.51GB
0.5 2 WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0 931.51GB
0.1 3 WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 931.51GB
0.4 4 WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 931.51GB

[R] Rebuild [D] Delete [C] Clear MBR [V] remove Vol [ENTER] Return

That's it.

Should I contact ASUS for help with this or should it be NVIDIA?

TechJunky

Sometimes if more than one disk fails you have to wait until it rebuilds the whole array before the os will boot. This was typical on old IDE promise raid 5 cards. Let it sit for a while and rebuild and see what happens.

OP
HedgeHocker

HedgeHocker

Registered
Sometimes if more than one disk fails you have to wait until it rebuilds the whole array before the os will boot. This was typical on old IDE promise raid 5 cards. Let it sit for a while and rebuild and see what happens.

Thanks, I was just thinking that myself. On the first page in the BIOS utility it is highlighted in red so maybe it is rebuilding and not shoing it ...no disk activity though dude. Hmm.

I still have time to make a call if the vendors would help. Do they help with RAID issues? Like I said, I'm not even sure who to call.

OP
HedgeHocker

HedgeHocker

Registered
What if I were to drop the two drives I was migrating in? Can I start over within the OS?

Automata

If it is worded as "Migrating", I would leave it. See what happens. In the mean time, call the motherboard manufacturer to see if they have any information and scour the internet to find people that have had similar issues as this.

Rebuilding arrays takes a long time. To give some examples, I had a drive flake out for a second and go to the "offline" status when I moved the server. I fixed the drive and put it back in, it had to rebuild the array. With the dedicated Perc 5/i RAID controller, it took just over 10 hours to rebuild the array (8x 1tb drives). I'm assuming yours, if it is going, is going to take quite a bit longer than mine.

Not to be snide/rude/holier than thou, this is the exact reason why I don't use on-board RAID controllers. It really isn't worth the data loss chance when you can get a good RAID card for $75-100 used.

TechJunky

You typically can NOT drop two drives in a raid 5 setup... How many drives do you have total? IE: if you are using Raid5 with 3 drives, if two fail your are SOL. If one fails you can replace and rebuild the array.

If you have 4 drives, you can lose two drives and still rebuild. You always need two drives up and working in order to rebuild a raid5 array.

Because 2 drives contain striped data, 1 drives contains the parity information. If you lose a drive and put in a new drive it will then rebuild the parity information. If you lose two drives you have essentially lost your striped array with your parity so your SOL.

I hope that helps.

Let it rebuild. Some 100GB raid5 arrays can take up to 6 hours, no joke.

Also, if you have another pc, you can always take on of the drives out copy the data to another pc, put the drive back in the raid PC, take the second drive out copy the data to your pc, put the drive back in the raid box and then let it rebuild.

That way atleast you have most/all of the data before the rebuild starts incase you lose the info.

Typically this is what I do.

Raid 5 array fails for whatever reason. I take out one of the two known good drives and ghost it. Wipe all the drives in the raid 5 array, restore all 3 drives with the ghost image and let it rebuild. That way I know they all have the same information and the parity build takes maybe 1 hour compared to MANY.

Last edited:

Automata

Because 2 drives contain striped data, 1 drives contains the parity information. If you lose a drive and put in a new drive it will then rebuild the parity information. If you lose two drives you have essentially lost your striped array with your parity so your SOL.
Technically, that is the definition of RAID4. RAID5 has parity spread across all the drives.

I do agree with the other comments though, it can take quite some time to rebuild the data. :)

OP
HedgeHocker

HedgeHocker

Registered
ASUS tech support said it's toast and I lost all the storage files. He said I may be able to pull a single drive and attempt to pull files off of it but because the information is striped over the disks it likely is not possible.

Time to replace my UPS. I can't be angry with grandfather. No point in resenting stupid people right. We should mark the breaker switches for him but he wasn't over enough for me to imagine this could have happened.

/scream

Any replies? I'll wait. Maybe there's hope.

Automata

All I suggest is waiting, all you can really do at this point.

OP
HedgeHocker

HedgeHocker

Registered
Okay, saw your comments after my last post--too late.

Thank you. I'll wait a day then attempt to recover and rebuild the way you mentioned TechJunky.

Love this web site. Makes me feel old though, LOL.

TechJunky

Technically, that is the definition of RAID4. RAID5 has parity spread across all the drives.

I do agree with the other comments though, it can take quite some time to rebuild the data. :)

Partially true..

If you lose 2 drives in a raid 5 you dont have enough of the striped data/parity to rebuild.

Not trying to argue, just trying to make it simple enough for others to understand.

Yes, parity is written across all drives.

Automata

Partially true..

If you lose 2 drives in a raid 5 you dont have enough of the striped data/parity to rebuild.

Not trying to argue, just trying to make it simple enough for others to understand.

Yes, parity is written across all drives.
Understood and agreed. I was just mentioning how parity is distributed across the RAID :D.

Two drives = data loss for RAID 4/5.

OP
HedgeHocker

HedgeHocker

Registered
I've never Ghosted a drive.

How does this method sound:

Turn off RAID in the BIOS.

Wipe and format one of the new drives I was adding.

Boot, try and boot, from one of the known good drives from the array. Ghost it to the one I just formatted. Ghost all the others. Rebuild. This should work right?

Last edited:
OP
HedgeHocker

HedgeHocker

Registered
Nevermind. I've lost this array. I have nothing to Ghost it to and the information is spread over at least 2 of the 3 drives right? I don't know what two contain the striped info and which of the original 3 was the ..uh, parity? You both probably know what I mean.

I need at least 2Tb of free hard drive space somewhere. Use the two newer drives?

TechJunky

Striped data simply means it is writing the data on all drives. Basically duplication of the data across all drives. So in essence, you should have the exact same data on drive 1, 2, and 3. So if you were to ghost 1 drive the data "should" be the same on the other 2.

In real life scenerio this could very depending on the speed of the data write process and when the drive was lost.

IE: if you system is idle and a disk crashes you normally are fine 99.9% of the time.

However, if you were in the middle of copying data and a disk failed there could be the potential that not all disks contain the same data. I always go with the first drive in the raid array if its good.

You can get free imaging software that will do what you want.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Download it, and then use the "Backup>Create Image" feature.

Select the disk you want to image, save it on your good PC somewhere and then pull disk two from the raid setup and restore the image to that drive, and do the same thing with drive 3. Then put all the disks back into the raid setup and wait for it to rebuild.

After you have created the image you could also delete the entire raid 5 array. Create a brand spanking new one with all of the 3 drives wiped. Once the raid array is created, turn down the box with the raid setup pull one drive out at a time and restore the image you created on all 3 disks. Then plug them back into the raid box and wait for them to rebuild. That would honestly be quicker.

Last edited:

TechJunky

Ok, nevermind. The free software only lets you restore partitions individually and not the whole disk. I hate imaging software like that.

I have used Acronis 2010 for a while and really like it. It will restore the complete disk image. The only problem is that it costs money.

Ghost is good for any os below XP and any linux version.

I have heard Ghost version 8 will do any type of disk/os but I dont have an old copy of 8 and I dont know how you would get one.

What OS are you running? If its server class, most home imaging software doesnt restore Server class OS's.