• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid and faster DVD authoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Not sure if this question is appropriate for this forum but maybe someone can make a referral to another forum more appropriate. Here goes.

I've been converting a lot of old VHS tapes to DVD with my Happhauge video capture card. After capturing and editing the captured video file there is the excruciatingly slow process of converting it to DVD format which seems to be mainly a disk intensive task as the CPU usage meter shows the CPU hardly being used but the hard drive LED is blinking constantly. I'm talking about the part before the actual burning of the DVD onto optical disk. With a 32-bit OS and 4gb of ram I can't utilize more ram. I only have one SATA drive at the present. Would a striped RAID setup speed this part of the process up considerabley?

tuskenraider

No, RAID would only speed up your editing process. The DVD drive is the slowest component in the mix, which your hard drive can easily out pace. Getting the fastest quality burner and media possible is about the only thing you can do.

OP
trents

trents

I'm talking about the DVD file and folder generation before the burning actually begins. I think the DVD folders are generated and stored in a temp file and then burned to the optical disc. The burning process itself is actually pretty fast.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
It seems odd to me that its not really using much CPU to do that, since media format conversion is pretty much always a CPU/RAM intensive task and not a drive. What kind of hard drives do you have installed? Simply a faster hard drive might help. Perhaps look at getting a second hard drive and use that for storage and the conversion. the newer 'Black' edition drives and the newest Seagate 1.5 terrabyte drives are incredibly fast compared to older drives, even old sata drives.

OP
trents

trents

So, it turns out that CPU usage in the transcoding to DVD format is application dependent. I experimented with three different DVD authoring apps ( PowerDirector by Cyberlink, MediaNow, which apparently uses a version of the Cyberlink engine,and the native Windows DVD Maker. PowerDirector makes heavy use of the all the CPU cores while Windows DVD Maker not quite as much and seems to use more of the CPU's second core than of the first and third core. MediaNow uses just a little slice of all the cores and seems to run in the background.