• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid data transfer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hasslefreepc

Looking for a little guidance here, trying to cover my bacon!
Situation is as follows:

Had an ASUS A7V133 w/ Promise raid controller. Had 2 IBM 30 Gig HD striped Raid-0. Worked great, not really sure it was worth the money, I am quite sure I'll know shortlly if I lose data. AMD Duron 1.2 fried (overclocked may have something to do with that, or lack of cooling concerns ) anyways, I bought a Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum and an AMD XP 2000+ because I felt like treating myself.

Here's where the problem lies. How do I get the data off the existing raided drives so I can blow them out and start fresh?

I had a promise controller on the old board and I have highpoint hpt372 now. The highpoint bios function recognizes both drives in a striped raid-0 array. But highpoint wants me to create an array on the new board. Will I lose the data if I create the array?

Also is it actually a benefit to stripe if I simply use some basic MS Office 2K, Surf and play simulation and some 3d games?

If you have any thoughts on this please offer them. I failed to doa a backup and my wife has our babies pictures on there. Screwed!

Thanks

mugambo

The highpoint controller will probably not be able to read the stripeset. If you want to save what you had, you probably need to purchase a promise controller AND make sure you don't reformat those drives in the meantime. If those pictures are of great personal value, contact Promise, by the controller, and from now on, make backups of anything you consider of value.

Dave

PS: Make backups despite whether or not you are using RAID.

The Revelation

Registered
mugambo said:

PS: Make backups despite whether or not you are using RAID.

Seems like common sense, yet it's a shame how many hard-core enthusiasts forget to do it.

I back up my most important docs every night while I sleep, and other, semi-important stuff every Friday. It's second nature now.

If you stripe you should use a seperate controller you can move the array. Is your old board unusable? Get a proc and fire up the old system and get the files. If you can't you might try a promise card but it may still require you make a new array.

OP
H

Hasslefreepc

Thanks to all, It appears that my last backup caught "most" of the files. I am still in the Dog House a tad, but not bad. Next time, I will not use raid, no real advantage for gaming. Quite a risk for data loss. Thanks everyone, do appreciate it.

Hasslefreepc said:
Thanks to all, It appears that my last backup caught "most" of the files. I am still in the Dog House a tad, but not bad. Next time, I will not use raid, no real advantage for gaming. Quite a risk for data loss. Thanks everyone, do appreciate it.

I still like raid but in most cases the newer hard drives are fast enough to do a good job.