• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid problem after mobo swap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wonko The Sane

I just upgraded my old system (specs below) with an Epox 8kha+, duron 1Ghz and 512 MB samsung ram. after swaping the boards, the raid isn't working properly. I can see the drives in windows, but if i try to move or copy something from them, the computer locks up after about 30 seconds-1minute of copying. I'm currentl booting of the 27 GB WD drive, and as long as i don't access the array, it's fine.

Old system:
Abit BP6 with 2x celeron 400 @ 400 (6x66 mhz)
WD 27 gb 7200 rpm on Highpoint controler
2x WD 60 gb 7200 RPM on promise ata 66 card moded to fastrak 66
pioneer dvd primary master
nec cdrw secondary master
ls 120 secondary slave

new system:
Epox 8kha+
duron morgan 1g (unlocked) @ 10x100 mhz
pioneer dvd primary master
WD 27 gb primary slave
NEC cdrw secondary master
ls120 secondary slave
2xmaxtor 60 gb on same promise controler.

any help is greatly appreciated.

*edit:
I'm using windows 2000 pro and have done a clean install on the 27 gb drive since swaping the boards. I've also tried using a different PCI slot for the promise controler.

that's what i'm gonna do. I put it in my roommates comp and it works fine, so i'm getting everything off it i need to, and am gonna rebuild it. I have a feeling it may not solve the problem though, because it's working in his system without a problem, but we'll see.

well i was able to get all the data off the array by putting it in my roommated comp, and I have rebuilt the array (deleted and recreated in controler bios), and it's still not working right. Now when I try to load win 2k on it, it stops at about 17% (always on drivers.cab). I've also tried XP and it gets all the way through copying, then restarts and says can't find ntoskernl.exe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rebuilding the array (redienining it in the controler bios) didn't fix the problem. I also made sure there were no IRQ/DMA/IO/memory conflicts, and when reloading windows, it would sometimes hang at copying driver.cab, sometimes copy all files and either hang on boot or not find ntoskernl.exe. the last few times i tried to load windows on the array, it loads to the solid desktop with the mouse pointer, it doesn't finish loading the 2nd part of setup. I can boot of a partition on another drive, and see the array, but if i try to copy files, it hangs after some time (between about 30 seconds to about 2 minutes or so).

Any assitance anyone could give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Back