• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid question about drive cache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
i have two wd 80mb 7200 8mb drives

i am toying with the idea of putting them into raid on my ga-7n400 pro2

now i hear a long time ago that if you put them into raid then you get so mething wiggy with the cache

it this true or false

if true what does it do

also

if i have windows xp installed on drive c:\ in the primary ide and nothing of my d:\

can i move them both over to the primary raid controler and

1) have xp not wig out
2) not need to format them both again just setup the raid 0
3) split them later on if i need more storage with out illeffects to the data

disk11

now i hear a long time ago that if you put them into raid then you get so mething wiggy with the cache

I don't understand what you are trying to ask.

As for your 3 listed questions below:
1. XP and everything else will be gone, so backup all of your stuff before creating the stripe
2. No, you will have to format them after setting up the array
3. Will not work. What a RAID 0 array does is breaks data up into a specified size call the data stipe size over the two drives. For example, if you save a 32k file to a drive/partition on the array and you have a 16k stripe, the first 16k will go to one drive and the 2nd 16k will be on the other drive. Breaking the array will cause all the data on it to be useless.

I would only setup a RAID 0 array if you have sufficent storage to hold all the important stuff in case a disk fails and you lose all of your data or you deciede later you don't like RAID 0.

OP
Crash893

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
thanks

basicly im asking

i hear that when you do raid 0 with to hdds with 8mb cache it will only use 2mb of cache or soemthing to that effect

and it doesnt really utalize the cache

Axis

Crash893 said:
thanks

basicly im asking

i hear that when you do raid 0 with to hdds with 8mb cache it will only use 2mb of cache or soemthing to that effect

and it doesnt really utalize the cache

I have been working with RAID 0, 1, 5 for about 10 years, scsi and ide/sata. I have never heard of this.