• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID shuffle - think this will work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Lol so I really do not want to reinstall yet especially since I plan to upgrade to win7 very soon. Also Im not having any problems or anything like that so the install is fine.

So anyways what I do want to try to do is change the RAID that windows is running on without reinstalling it. The reason for this is while Vista itself is running ok the slower drive speeds are starting to get to me (benched at ~77MB/s avg compared to my server which is pulling over 100). So right now Ive got a RAID 10 using older 250GB sata drives using the built in ICH10R raid controller on the board. I want to replace this with newer 500 or 640gb drives in a raid 0. (not to mention give me some more space)

So my plan is this. Use Acronis imaging software to image my install to a seperate drive. Break the RAID, replace the drives the faster ones, rebuil the array as RAID 0, reimage back with the Acronis software. Run a fixmbr/fixboot or w/e might be needed (no reinstall of OS or software) and keep right on trucking. How likely is this to work? I ask because if it doesn't work I may be forced to reinstall cause I broke everything completely. And with that kind of risk it may not be worth it. Nothing else will be changing, same board and all that good stuff I just want a different RAID with different drives w/o a reinstall.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
That *ought* to work. Can't think of why it wouldn't. And you're not overwriting the old drives, so you can pop them back in if something goes wrong.

What's keeping you from adding the two new drives, setting them up for RAID, and imaging from one RAID setup to another directly?

OP
pik4chu

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
ive had bad experiences trying when booting from 2 'drives' that have a windows partition in the same system.

One time when I changed computers I poped my old drive in to copy data off of it, computer for some reason saw it as a bootable device and picked it first instead of what it should have. Long story short whenever I would boot up in the future, with the issue 'fixed' my c drive was now my F drive... So dont feel like risking that again cause it was such a headache to fix.

And ya this sounds like it should work to me as well just wanted to get others thoughts on it.

nd4spdbh2

u should have no prob done it many times with acronis. Ull just need a separate hd with another windows os to run acronis in due to the fact ull have raid drives and if you just boot up with an acronis disk it will see all the drives instead of the raid array.

You should not need to fix mbr or anything... acronis captures it if im not mistaken. at least in my experience.

OP
pik4chu

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
hmm that will make things a bit interesting...

Guess ill start doing some testing once the drives arrive, too bad newegg is constantly sold out of the 640gb black WDs :(

OP
pik4chu

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
lol trying this now, wish me luck.

Also of interesting note. Perhaps its because I have a newer version of acronis but it sees the raid on my rig just fine and recognizes it correctly. So I dont have to do anything wierd in order to get it to image the current raid.