• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid vs. non-raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quint

Registered
If I get a raid mobo, but do not wish to use the raid function initially, can you run only one HDD on the raid controllers, or do you have to run the HDD on the non-raid IDE slots. I am thinking I may go ahead and get the raid for future expansion.:burn:

generally, most raid mobos come with "ATA133/RAID", which means you can use ATA133 OR RAID.

There is usually a jumper on the board that sets whether you want to use RAID or not. Most boards default to ATA133.

(or ATA100).

Raid

Cool, thanks. Still learning. I have seen that on board descriptions many times, just never put 2 & 2 together.

Actually most are set in the RAID controller setup which you have to do when you plug in your drives to the raid controllers channels if it's onboard. I don't know of many that still use jumpers.

Most boards use either promise or highpoint, I have a TH7-II with raid using highpoint. If all you want to do is use them as sepereate IDE channels it's fine, in fact when i plugged 2 of my drives in I didn't even have to configure anything, highpoint just accepted the drives as extra devices, but to make them show up in windows i had to go into the raid configurer (kinda like an extra bios setup only for your disk devices usually on startup) and set them as single drives, works great and very easy!

i got a A7V133 on promise ata100/raid0/1/0+1.. i use it as ata100 with 2 cdroms on it right now.. for some odd reason if I put my system hard drive on it, it likes to do "neat" things. I don't think the win2k drivers like the ata100 chain on this particular board.

IF you want to use the raid set the jumpers and use the raid IDE ports. If you don't want raid disable it and use the normal IDE channels.

It's favorite is to corrupt my profile, but it also likes to corrupt the registry, boot sector, and refuse to boot (*sometimes*) saying "INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE" (even though I just booted off of it a minute ago).

Tried it with a Maxtor 60Gig 7200RPM (ata100 compliant) on my onboard promise raid/ata100.

It also has this neat trick -- right now I have only my CDroms on it, so I really don't need it's HDDLoader on startup (tacks 30 seconds onto my boot time), but if I disable it, Win2k refuses to boot.. it just freezes halfway through bootup. (and i've tried everything).

Back