• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID0 Raptor performance...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p3rfect

Registered
A familiar topic I am sure... but I have read a few negative responses regarding the Raptor's in RAID0...

"I had two raptors and wasnt impressed was only getting 73mb/s on Raid 0."

" was getting well below what benchmark programs like sandra say i should be getting. That was regardless of stripe size and controller. Kustom tested them and got same results, compared them to new off the shelf raptors in an array also and performance was similar.
Also my friends sata arrays running standard drives were coming up quicker in benchmarks. To be honest I would go for a pair of 160gb sata drives or 200gb satas and run them in RAID 0."

So can anyone who runs these drives comment on their performance, compared to a normal ATA drive, or other SATA RAID's?

I am just about to order these and am worried their performance may not be as good as the possible hype...

Hey p3rfect,

I have a good friend of mine running 4 36Gb raptors in RAID0 config off of a Highpoint RocketRAID1820 controller card. He has had a lot of success with his setup and has in many cases had about 140 Mb/s transfer rates between his rig and my gaming servers.

I personally believe that having a RAID0 setup with more than 2 drives is overkill for even most avid gamers/videoeditors/CADD etc. I have had many RAID arrays ranging from SCSI U320 RAID50 to generic ATA100 RAID0 and thus far for the money to performance ratio, I fully backup the WD Raptor 36 Gb models (no exp with 72Gb model)

If you are going for mass data storage then the Raptors are NOT for you... if you want a fast data transfers with nice i/o performance than by all means go for it dude!

In either case take a look at some reviews(MORE THAN 1!!!) and first and foremost sitdown, concentrate, and think of what you are using these drives for before you go and spend money.

A quick google sesarch of 'WD Raptor RAID review' gave a few nice comprehensive reviews you may wish to take a look at.

Well hope you can draw some timely and informative info for yourself vefore taking the financial plunge >: O )

Cheers- 2iC

Back